Tafseer Surah Baqarah: (Zakat & Poverty)
By Shaikh Abdullah Faisal
(morning dars 4.01.11)
1. Alif-Lam-Mim. [These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].
2. This is the Book (the Qur'an), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun [the pious and righteous persons who fear Allah much (abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which He has forbidden) and love Allah much (perform all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained)].
3. Who believe in the Ghaib and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and spend out of what we have provided for them [i.e. give Zakat , spend on themselves, their parents, their children, their wives, etc., and also give charity to the poor and also in Allah's Cause - Jihad, etc.].
--Qur’an was compiled during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr following the great losses at the Battle of Yamaama
--Abu Bakr fought against the apostates who refused to pay zakat thus denying one of the pillars of Islam (They said we are not going to pay to you, we only payed to Rasul(saw)
--Paying zakat is difficult for people because they don’t like to part with their wealth and they continue to come up with excuses (eg. we have no khilafah system today)
--People who collect zakat are entitled to a cut as their salary
As-Sadaqat (here it means Zakat) are only for the Fuqara' (poor), and Al-Masakin (the poor) and those employed to collect (the funds); and for to attract the hearts of those who have been inclined (towards Islam); and to free the captives; and for those in debt; and for Allah's Cause (i.e. for Mujahidun - those fighting in the holy wars), and for the wayfarer (a traveller who is cut off from everything); a duty imposed by Allah. And Allah is All-Knower, All-Wise (9:60)
And those who hoard up gold and silver [Al-Kanz: the money, the Zakat of which has not been paid], and spend it not in the Way of Allah, -announce unto them a painful torment. (9:34)
Without zakat there is poverty which leads to all manners of social ills
1) leads to injustice (wide gap between rich and poor)
2) can be a reason for apostasy so there is no good in poverty
3) makes people vulnerable to low self-esteem and all its ensuing problems:
4) leads to theft/crime
5) leads to prostitution
6) makes you vulnerable to crusaders/ oppression / exploitation
--Umar (the 2nd Caliph) said poverty is kufr: ”if poverty was a man I would kill him without my own two hands”
Athar = sayings of the Sahaabahs
But seek, with that (wealth) which Allah has bestowed on you, the home of the Hereafter, and forget not your portion of legal enjoyment in this world, and do good as Allah has been good to you, and seek not mischief in the land. Verily, Allah likes not the Mufsidun (those who commit great crimes and sins, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupts). (28:77)
--Wealth is not a barr from entering Jannah, the greatest blessing is a rich Muslim who spends in the way of Allah (he has both dunya and akhira).