TAFSEER SURAH SAFFAAT
ISMAEL THE SACRIFICIAL SON
BY SHAIKH ABDULLAH FAISAL
06 July 2013 SATURDAY (Morning Dars)
Notes Written by AT6
Edited by AT6 & Abu Hafiza 4
He said: "Worship you that which you (yourselves) carve?
- When Abraham asked the question in ayah 95 he was astonished and startled.
- This is because Abraham did not lose his fitrah.
- Therefore he found it extremely farfetched for people to manufacture gods with their own two hands and
- When Iblis told Adam to eat from the tree he said: "Wallahi I am speaking the truth".
- So Adam was so naive because he didn't lose his fitrah.
- He believed Iblis and ate from the tree.
Then Shaitan (Satan) whispered to him, saying : "O Adam! Shall I lead you to the Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that will never waste away?"
- How can a person say wallahi and then lie?
- Fitrah means a pure state.
- The society has not yet corrupted you.
- Adam was like that.
- When Abraham was talking to his people he was only a teenager.
- He did not lose his fitrah.
- Therefore he asked them if they worship gods which they manufacture themselves.
- He asked the question because he did not lose his fitra and he found it completely nonsensical for people to worship gods they carve out with their own hands.
"While Allah has created you and what you make!"
- The scholars of tawheed use this ayah as evidence that Allah Creates you and your actions.
- When you woke up this morning and prayed salaatul fajr, this action was created by Allah.
- If your actions are created by Allah why is there reward and punishment?
- There is reward and punishment because the choices to do the actions were made by you.
- You were a free human being at liberty exercising free will.
ACCOUNTABILTIY IS STRIPPED FROM THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE:
1) THE CHILD UNTIL HE REACHES PUBERTY
2) THE MADMAN
3) THE SLEEPING MAN
4) THE JAAHIL WHO DID NOT KNOW THE THING WAS HARAAM
5) THE PERSON WHO IS UNDER DURESS
- An example is the person who was forced to eat pork because nothing else was available for him to eat.
The evidence for this is Surah 2:173.
He has forbidden you only the Maytatah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah (or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., on which Allah's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6) THE PERSON WHO MADE A MISTAKE BECAUSE OF EXCITEMENT
- It is called a slip of the tongue.
- The mutazilites believe man creates his own actions.
- This concept goes against Tawheed Rububiyyah that Allah is the only Creator.
- This concept contradicts ayah 96 of Surah Saffat where Allah said He creates you and all your actions.
"While Allah has created you and what you make!"
They said: "Build for him a building (it is said that the building was like a furnace) and throw him into the blazing fire!"
- What the pagans did to Abraham is clear evidence that the mushrikeen are vehement in their hatred of the
- The people who are upon authentic tawheed are called muwahideen.
Allah declared this in the Quran in Surah 5:82.
Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikun (see V.2:105), and you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: "We are Christians." That is because amongst them are priests and monks, and they are not proud.
- They built a big fire and dumped Abraham in it because of their hatred for him.
So they plotted a plot against him, but We made them the lowest.
- Their plot went to waste because Allah commanded the fire not to burn Abraham.
- Allah said He commanded the fire to be cool for Abraham in Surah 21:66-69.
[Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "Do you then worship besides Allah, things that can neither profit you, nor harm you?
"Fie upon you, and upon that which you worship besides Allah! Have you then no sense?"
They said: "Burn him and help your aliha (gods), if you will be doing."
We (Allah) said: "O fire! Be you coolness and safety for Ibrahim (Abraham)!"
- Abraham asked: “Have you then no sense?”
- For you to manufacture your gods with your own hands means you have no sense.
- This is what Hindus and Buddhists do today.
- Even a dog can urinate on your gods.
- Why do your gods need help?
- Your gods are helpless.
- Look how stupid you the kaafir are.
- Allah made their plot go to waste because He commanded the fire not to burn Abraham.
And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah.
(Al Imran 3:54)
EXAMPLES OF HOW ALLAH MADE THE PLOTS OF THE KUFFAAR GO TO WASTE:
EXAMPLE # 1
- WHEN THE KUFFAAR INVADED MAKKAH TO DESTROY THE KAABA AND ALLAH SENT BIRDS AGAINST THEM
EXAMPLE # 2
- WHEN THE KUFFAAR PLANTED 7 YOUNG MEN FROM 7 DIFFERENT TRIBES OUTSIDE THE DOORSTEP OF THE PROPHET TO KILL THE PROPHET AND ALLAH DESTROYED THEIR PLOT
- They wanted to scatter the blood of Muhammad between 7 tribes so his tribe couldn't take revenge.
- The Prophet came out and recited ayah 9 of surah Yaseen.
And We have put a barrier before them, and a barrier behind them, and We have covered them up, so that they cannot see.
- The reason why Allah makes the plot of the infidels go to waste is because when they fight Islam they are fighting Allah.
- When you declare war on Islam you declare war on Allah.
- Islam is the truth.
EXAMPLE # 3
- WHEN THE USSR INVADED AFGHANISTAN AND ALLAH DESTROYED THEM
- That was a huge empire that covered nearly a quarter of the world.
- They invaded Afghanistan in 1979 and this war broke the back of the USSR.
- Today the USSR is confined to the dustbin of history.
- The straw that broke the camel's back was when they invaded Afghanistan.
- This is a typical example of how Allah makes the plot of the kaafirs go to waste.
- Whenever kaafirs plot evil it always backfires in their infidelic faces.
And he said (after his rescue from the fire) : "Verily, I am going to my Lord. He will guide me!"
- Ayah 99 is evidence whenever you the believer are persecuted in a land (darul harb), HIJRA becomes NECESSARY.
- When Abraham was persecuted in the land he made hijra.
- As soon as Allah rescued Abraham from the fire he did not think twice about making hijra.
- It is unwise to stay amongst people who hate you for the sake of your deen.
- The story about the sleepers of the cave is all about making hijra out of fear of persecution.
- Allah told you the story to tell you the importance of hijra.
Allah made mention about the importance of hijrah in surah 4:97.
Verily! As for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them) : "In what (condition) were you?" They reply: "We were weak and oppressed on earth." They (angels) say: "Was not the earth of Allah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?" Such men will find their abode in Hell - What an evil destination!
- They did not make hijra even though the earth was made wide for them.
- They rather stay among the kuffar.
- If you stay in places like Australia, the UK and the USA, they are going to force you to apostate.
- They are going to bring in new laws which force you to apostate because the white kaafir is a dictator and a Satanist.
- Abraham said: ‘I am making hijra and my Lord will guide me’.
- He put his tawakkul in Allah.
- He was going to a strange land. He had no family there.
- The seven sleepers of the cave were from rich families in Turkey.
- They made hijrah and put their trust in Allah.
Verily! You (O Muhammad SAW) guide not whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills. And He knows best those who are the guided.
- The above mentioned ayah is clear evidence only Allah can guide.
- Abraham said only Allah can guide him because only Allah can guide.
- He put his trust in Allah to guide him
- Allah revealed this ayah (28:56) regarding Abu Talib.
- There are two types of guidance.
- One is called TAWFEEQ (ALLAH'S GUIDANCE).
- The other is called IRSHAAD (MAN’S GUIDANCE)
- Allah is talking about TAWFEEQ (ALLAH’S GUIDANCE) in the above ayah (28:56).
- When the Prophet said to Ali if Allah should use you to guide one man to Islam it is better for you than red camels the Prophet was talking about IRSHAAD (MAN'S GUIDANCE).
Sahl bin Sa`d (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said on the day of the Khaibar Battle, "I will give this banner to a person at whose hands Allah will grant victory; a man who loves Allah and His Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam), and Allah and His Messenger love him also.''
The people spent the night thinking as to whom it would be given. When it was morning, the people hastened to Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam). Every one of them was hoping that the banner would be given to him. He (the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam)) asked, "Where is `Ali bin Abu Talib?'' They said: "O Messenger of Allah! His eyes are sore.''
He (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) then sent for him and when he came, Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) applied his saliva to his eyes and supplicated. `Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) recovered as if he had no ailment at all. He (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) conferred upon him the banner. `Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) said: ``O Messenger of Allah, shall I fight against them until they are like us?''
Thereupon he (the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam)) said, "Advance cautiously until you reach their open places; thereafter, invite them to Islam and inform them what is obligatory for them from the Rights of Allah, for, by Allah, if Allah guides even one person through you that is better for you than possessing a whole lot of red camels".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
Allah spoke about IRSHAAD (A MAN GUIDING ANOTHER MAN TO ISLAM) in Surah 42:52.
And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad SAW) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur'an) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily, you (O Muhammad SAW) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Allah's religion of Islamic Monotheism).
- Allah said Muhammad is guiding people to the straight path in the above ayah (42:52).
- The guidance mentioned by Allah here is man guiding man. This guidance is called IRSHAAD.
- A kaafir who doesn't understand TAFSEER and AQEEDAH will read the Quran and say he has found a
contradiction in the Quran.
- He will say the contradiction is that in one verse it says only Allah can guide and in another verse it says
Muhammad is guiding people to the straight path.
- This is because he doesn't know there are two types of guidance: TAWFEEQ and IRSHAAD.
- It is because of this reason when Umar was the caliph if he found a kaafir giving tafseer he would flog him.
- How can a kaafir give tafseer?
- He doesn't have the tools to give tafseer.
- The lesson you learn from ayah 99 of Surah Saffat is that HIJRA becomes NECESSARY when you are
persecuted in the land.
- The kaafirs are Satanists. They are going to lock you in prison and throw away the key.
- Abraham made hijrah straight away after Allah saved him from the fire.
- Look at Abu Nusaybah. He was locked up in prison after giving an interview.
- If you live among the kaafirs they are going to lock you up.
- Anytime the white man asks you to come for an interview he wants to lock you up.
- They used the camera to give Hugo Chavez cancer.
- They are going to use radiation in the video camera to give you cancer.
THE THREE PREREQUISITES FOR GUIDANCE:
1) YOUR AQEEDAH HAS TO BE RIGHT
- AQEEDAH is the CREED; it is your belief system.
- Abu Hanifah said the right Aqeedah is Fiqh al Akbar (the greatest fiqh)
2) YOUR FIQH HAS TO BE RIGHT
- The FIQH is called the ISLAMIC JURISPRUDENCE.
- We cannot separate the aqeedah from the fiqh because the aqeedah influences the fiqh.
- The aqeedah influences the shariah.
- When Ma'moon was the caliph he used to beat people who didn't believe the Quran was created.
- He was a Mutazilite and he believed the Quran was created.
- This is our evidence that your aqeedah influences your sharia.
- He even beat Ahmad ibn Hanbal.
3) YOUR MANHAJ HAS TO BE RIGHT
- MANHAJ means your METHODOLOGY of establishing the Islamic State.
- Allah disgraced Ikhwaanul Muslimeen in Egypt because their manhaj was wrong.
- Their manhaj was to use democracy which is the greatest shirk to establish Islam.
- You can't use shirk to establish Islam. It is not the manhaj of the Prophet.
- You have to use the haq to establish Islam not bautil.
- The most important thing in our life is guidance and because of that we beg Allah for guidance 17 times a
day in surah Fatiha.
Guide us to the Straight Way.
The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).
- Without guidance we shall fail our examination inside the grave.
- The angels will ask us the three questions: Who is your Lord, who is your Prophet and what is your religion?
- Only a Muslim can answer these 3 questions in the grave and because of that Allah said
By Al-'Asr (the time).
Verily! Man is in loss,
Except those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth (i.e. order one another to perform all kinds of good deeds (Al-Ma'ruf)which Allah has ordained, and abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds (Al-Munkar)which Allah has forbidden), and recommend one another to patience (for the sufferings, harms, and injuries which one may encounter in Allah's Cause during preaching His religion of Islamic Monotheism or Jihad, etc.).
- Allah revealed this surah because only a believer can pass the exam in the grave.
- This is because one of the laws of nature says: ‘HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE HAS GOT TO BE
PREPARED TO FAIL’.
- Allah told us in the Quran the ultimate humiliation will be for those who rebelled against Allah and His Rasul.
Those who oppose Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW), they will be among the lowest (most humiliated).
- In order for you to be guided you have to be sincere.
- Allah told you in the Quran he doesn't guide liars.
The evidence for this is surah 39:3.
Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allah only. And those who take Auliya' (protectors and helpers) besides Him (say) : "We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allah." Verily, Allah will judge between them concerning that wherein they differ. Truly, Allah guides not him who is a liar, and a disbeliever.
- When you are giving dawah, you should only give dawah to people who are interested.
- You are not allowed to waste time with those who are not interested in the guidance because Allah said to
give the admonition if it benefits the person.
So remind, if the reminder should benefit
(Al-A’la 87:9) [Sahih International]
- You are not allowed to give dawah to those who are not interested because you are wasting your time.
- They’re not worth a dime.
- You’re throwing away silver and gold to the swine.
- If a person is not guided in the dunya it is his fault because Allah showed us the two highways.
- Allah showed us the highway that leads to the Paradise and the highway that leads to the Hellfire.
Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?
And a tongue and a pair of lips?
And shown him the two ways (good and evil)?
But he has made no effort to pass on the path that is steep.
- You did not choose the steep road that takes you to the Paradise.
- You chose the flat road that takes you to the hellfire like a lamb to the slaughter.
"My Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous."
- After Abraham made hijrah he asked for pious offspring.
- This is the first thing he did when he made hijrah.
- Allah told us in the Quran, asking for pious offspring is a dua every real Muslim makes.
And those who say: "Our Lord! Bestow on us from our wives and our offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and make us leaders for the Muttaqun" (pious - see V.2:2 and the footnote of V.3:164)."
- If you are a Muslim woman and you are not broody something is wrong with you.
- To make a dua for righteous wives and offspring is the dua of every real Muslim.
- This is why Abraham made that dua.
'Abdullah bin Abu Qatadah narrated that his father said: "The Messenger of Allah said: 'The best things that a man can leave behind are three: A righteous son who will pray for him, ongoing charity whose reward will reach him, and knowledge which is acted upon after his death.'"
- The reason why the real Muslims make this dua is because of the hadith of the Prophet.
Abu Huraira (RA) reported: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "When a man dies, his deeds come to an end, except for three: (1) A continuous charity, (2) knowledge by which people derive benefit, (3) pious son who prays for him."
[Adab al-Mufrad al-Bukhari No. 38, Muslim (3/1255) No. 1631, Abu Dawud (3/117) No. 2880, al-Nasa'i (6/251) No. 3651, Tirmidhi (3/660) No. 1376, al-Darime (1/148) No. 559, Ahmad (2/372) No. 8831]
- We are not allowed to take it for granted that we will have pious wives and offspring.
- This is because Allah told us in the Quran some wives and some offspring can be our enemies.
O you who believe! Verily, among your wives and your children there are enemies for you (i.e. may stop you from the obedience of Allah), therefore beware of them! But if you pardon (them) and overlook, and forgive (their faults), then verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
So We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy.
- Allah said in ayah 101 the boy is HALEEM.
- Haleem means slow to anger.
- Haleem means forbearing.
- The boy mentioned is Ismael because he was the first child of Abraham.
- Abraham was 86 when he was born.
‘And this son is Ishmael for he is the first son whose good news was brought to Abraham. He is older than Isaac according to Muslims and ahl al-kitâb (i.e., the People of the Book) too. It is even said in their Scripture that Ishmael was born when Abraham was 86 years old and Isaac was born when Abraham was 99’.
[Reported by Ibn Kathir]
And, when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you (offer you in sacrifice to Allah), so look what you think!" He said: "O my father! Do that which you are commanded, Insha' Allah (if Allah will), you shall find me of As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.)."
- Allah showed Abraham in a vision sacrificing his son.
- The dream of a prophet is not like our dreams. The dream of a prophet is revelation.
- He had to act on the dream and offer his son as a human sacrifice.
- The Prophet saw himself and the sahabas making umrah before they made umrah and they did make umrah.
Allah spoke about it in surah 48:27.
Indeed Allah shall fulfil the true vision which He showed to His Messenger (SAW) [i.e. the Prophet SAW a dream that he has entered Makkah along with his companions, having their (head) hair shaved and cut short] in very truth. Certainly, you shall enter Al Masjid al Haram; if Allah wills, secure, (some) having your heads shaved, and (some) having your head hair cut short, having no fear. He knew what you knew not, and He granted besides that a near victory.
- This proves that whenever a prophet sees a dream it has to come to pass.
- The dream of Abraham was a commandment of Allah to test his obedience and imaan.
Then, when they had both submitted themselves (to the Will of Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (or on the side of his forehead for slaughtering);
- The scholars of Islam say Abraham laid his son on his forehead to slaughter him because he did not want to
see his facial expression.
- That would be too difficult for Abraham.
- Abraham still had human instincts.
- This is why he didn't want to see the face of his son when he was slaughtering him.
- He still had natural instincts even though he was a prophet.
- The Prophet cried when his son died.
Narrated By Anas bin Malik: We went with Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) to the blacksmith Abu Saif, and he was the husband of the wet-nurse of Ibrahim (the son of the Prophet). Allah's Apostle took Ibrahim and kissed him and smelled him and later we entered Abu Saif's house and at that time Ibrahim was in his last breaths, and the eyes of Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) started shedding tears. 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Auf said, "O Allah's Apostle, even you are weeping!" He said, "O Ibn 'Auf, this is mercy." Then he wept more and said, "The eyes are shedding tears and the heart is grieved, and we will not say except what pleases our Lord, O Ibrahim ! Indeed we are grieved by your separation."
[Sahih Bukhari (2/83) No. 1303]
And We called out to him: "O Abraham!
You have fulfilled the dream (vision)!" Verily! Thus do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers - see V.2:112).
- When a teacher gives you an exam and you get 100%, the teacher says you passed the test with flying
- Abraham passed the test with FLYING COLOURS because he acted on the dream by trying to sacrifice his
- Ismael also passed the test because he said to his father to do what Allah has commanded him to do.
- Both Abraham and Ismael SURRENDERED to the will of Allah.
Verily, that indeed was a manifest trial
- The Prophet said when Allah loves you he tests you.
The Prophet (pbuh) said, “When Allah loves a servant, He tests him,”
- The more Allah loves you the harder the test.
- Those who are tested the strongest will be the prophets and the messengers.
It was narrated from Mus’ab bin Sa’d that his father, Sa’d bin Abu Waqqas, said: “I said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which people are most severely tested?’ He said: ‘The Prophets, then the next best and the next best. A person is tested according to his religious commitment. If he is steadfast in his religious commitment, he will be tested more severely, and if he is frail in his religious commitment, his test will be according to his commitment. Trials will continue to afflict a person until they leave him walking on the earth with no sin on him.’”
[Sunan Ibn Majah]
- Abraham and his son passed the test.
- The sacrificial son is Ismael.
- This is because Allah said to Abraham to sacrifice his only son.
- Ishaaq was born 13 years later when Abraham was 99 years old.
And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice (i.e. - a ram);
- When Abraham was going to sacrifice his son the shaitaan came crying on three occasions and Abraham
stoned the shaitaan with 7 pebbles.
- The shaitaan was stoned by Abraham on 3 occasions with 7 pebbles so he stoned the shaitaan with 21
pebbles in total.
- When we go to hajj we do the same thing, an enactment of what Abraham did.
And We left for him (a goodly remembrance) among generations (to come) in later times.
- Three religions look up to Abraham: Islam, Christianity and Judaism. They are called the Abrahamic Faiths.
- The story of Abraham and Ismael will be in the hearts of all generations until Judgement Day.
- We sacrifice animals on Eid al Adha to enact what Abraham did when he was about to sacrifice his only son
- Allah told Abraham not to sacrifice Ismael but to sacrifice a kabsh (ram) instead because Abraham passed
Salamun (peace) be upon Ibrahim (Abraham)!"
Abu Huraira (RA) reported that Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, “By Him in Whose Hand is my life, you will not enter Paradise till you believe, and you will not believe till you love each other. Shall I not guide you to something which if you do, you will love each other? Give currency to salaam between yourselves.”
[Sahih Muslim (1/74) No. 54, Sunan Abu Dawud (4/350) No. 5193, Sunan Tirmidhi (5/52) 2688, Sunan Ibn Majah (1/47) No. 68, Musnad Ahmad (2/477) No. 10180, al-Adab al-Mufrad al-Bukhari (980)]
- Allah will say assalamu alaikum to the people when they enter the Paradise on the day of judgement.
The evidence for this is surah 36:58.
(It will be said to them) : Salamun (peace be on you), a Word from the Lord (Allah), Most Merciful.
Thus indeed do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers - see V.2:112).
- There are three types of believers: Muslimum, Muminun and Muhsinun.
- The highest level is Muhsinun and Abraham belonged to that level.
Verily, he was one of Our believing slaves. (As-Saffat 37:111)
- In Islam we have 5 strong willed prophets.
- They were Noah, Abraham, Jesus, Moses and Muhammad.
- When the Prophet went on the journey Al Israa Wal Miraaj he saw Abraham in the seventh heaven.
- Abraham was surrounded with a lot of children.
- The Prophet asked Jibreel who the children with Abraham are
- Jibreel said the children surrounding Abraham were all the children who died before puberty.
- When the Prophet told the sahabas about this incident the sahabas asked: "Even the children of the kuffaar?"
- The Prophet said "Yes, even the children of the kuffaar".
- They will all be in Paradise with Abraham as long as they died before reaching puberty.