TAFSEER SURAH SAFFAAT –
THE THREE LIES OF ABRAHIM
BY SHAIKH ABDULLAH FAISAL
03 July 2013 (Morning Dars)
WRITING BY AT6
And, verily, among those who followed his [Nuh's (Noah)] way (Islamic Monotheism) was Ibrahim (Abraham).
- This means Abraham followed Noah in regards to monotheism.
- He didn't go astray in regards to monotheism.
- Abraham followed in the footsteps of Noah.
- It must be borne in mind that Noah and Abraham are among the five strong willedProphets.
- Abraham was given the title 'khaleelullah' (the intimate friend of Allah).
- No one has the right to deny that Abraham was Khaleelullah.
- In the past when a person denied this fact, he was beheaded by the governor of Iraq.
- He also denied that Allah spoke to Musa so the governor of Iraq
- who was Khalid ibn Abdullah al Qasree beheaded Ja'd ibn Dirham on Eid Day.
- Ja'd ibn Dirham was of the Jahmiyyah school of thought.
- Ja'd ibn Dirham was beheaded on Eid Day in front of people because he denied verses of
Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn Muhammad Ibn Habeeb Ibn Abee Habeeb on the authority of his father, on the authority of his grandfather [who] said: I witnessed Khalid Ibn 'Abdullah Al-Qasree - and he addressed them at Waasit - "Oh People, make sacrifice, may Allah accept it from you. Verily I am sacrificing Al-Ja'd Ibn Dirham, for indeed he claims that Allah did not take Ibrahim as a khaleel (close friend), and [that] He did not speak to Moosa. Most Perfect is He and exalted is He from what Al-Ja'd say." Then he descended and slaughtered him. I say: And the Jahmiyyah and Mu'tazilah speak with this, and they distort the text of the revelation regarding that, and they claim that the Lord is purified of that (i.e. having spoken to Moses and taken Ibrahim as a khalil).
[Mukhtasar al-Uluww of adh-Dhahabi, (p.134)]
- The Quran is kalaamullah. Therefore no one has the right to deny a single verse from the Holy Quran.
When he came to his Lord with a pure heart [attached to Allah Alone and none else, worshipping none but Allah Alone true Islamic Monotheism, pure from the filth of polytheism].
- Abraham came to Allah with a pure heart meaning his heart was pure from kufr, shirk,Hypocrisy, superstitions and zandaqa.
- The Arabic word zandaqa means heresy.
- Pure heart also means pure from racism, tribalism, nationalism, greed, lust and envy.
- A pure heart is pure from pride, arrogance and conceitedness.
- Pure heart means pure from diseases of the heart.
- In order for you to be a daee, you need to purify your heart from diseases.
- If your heart is not purified, your dawah will fail.
- Many people tried to give dawah but failed because they didn't purify their hearts.
- If your heart is not purified, your actions become evil so your dawah shall fail.
There is a lump of flesh in the body, the nature of which is that when it is sound, the entire body is sound, and when it is corrupt, the entire body is corrupt - it is the heart.'"
[AL-Bukhari (52) and Muslim (1599)]
- A pure heart is a prerequisite for becoming a good daee.
- Allah took it upon Himself to purify the heart of Muhammad.
Have We not opened your breast for you (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him))?
And removed from you your burden,
Which weighed down your back?
And raised high your fame?
- The burden that Allah is talking about here in surah 94:2 is diseases of the heart.
- The fame of Muhammad shall be raised because his name shall enter every household
before Judgement Day.
- The name of Muhammad is mentioned in the adhan, iqama and tashahhud five times a day.
When he said to his father and to his people: "What is it that which you worship?
- Abraham is asking what you are worshipping because you make your own gods.
- You are making your gods instead of them making you.
"Is it a falsehood aliha (gods) other than Allah that you seek?
- He used the word ifk which means falsehood.
- The word ifk is used to describe their false religion.
- Their situation is pitiful, appalling and pathetic because they manufacture their gods with
their own two hands.
"Then what do you think about the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinn’s, and all that exists)?"
- If you are manufacturing your own gods and praying to them then who is Allah in your life?
- Allah is the Creator of everything so who is Allah in your life?
- Are you going to worship Allah as well or are you just going to worship your idols?
This is the creation of Allah. So show Me that which those (whom you worship), besides Him have created. Nay, the Zalimun (polytheists, wrongdoers and those who do not believe in the Oneness of Allah) are in plain error.
- Did the idols create vegetation, animals, the sea or the rivers which you use to irrigate yourcrops?
- Allah is asking them to show what these idols have created for them.
- Allah is saying that only the Creator deserves to be worshipped.
- Therefore Tauheed Rububiyyah is evidence for Tauheed Ibaada.
- Allah spoke about Abraham on many occasions in the Quran.
One of them is surah 60:4-5:
Indeed there has been an excellent example for you in Ibrahim (Abraham) and those with him, when they said to their people: "Verily, we are free from you and whatever you worship besides Allah, we have rejected you, and there has started between us and you, hostility and hatred for ever, until you believe in Allah Alone," except the saying of Ibrahim (Abraham) to his father: "Verily, I will ask for forgiveness (from Allah) for you, but I have no power to do anything for you before Allah." Our Lord! In You (Alone) we put our trust, and to You (Alone) we turn in repentance, and to You (Alone) is (our) final Return,
- Allah is saying that Abraham is the ultimate example for Al Walaa Wal Baraa.- Al Walaa Wal Bara is called Millat Ibrahim.
Our Lord! Make us not a trial for the disbelievers, and forgive us, Our Lord! Verily, You, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise."
- The tafseer of this ayah (60:5) is: O Allah does not allow the kaafirs to defeat me on the- battlefield because the kaafirs are going to say my god is the real god.
- They are going to say their religion is the right religion.
- When the Mongols invaded Baghdad and dumped books into the river, they said they
defeated the Muslims because the religion of the Muslims is wrong.
- When the Muslims made a comeback at the battle of Ain Jaloot and defeated the Tatars in
1260 C.E, the Tatars embraced Islam.
- It is important that you disgrace kufr.- You were commanded by Allah in the Quran to disgrace kufr.
Fight against them so that Allah will punish them by your hands and disgrace them and give you victory over them and heal the breasts of a believing people,
- Many Muslims became Communists.- When communism was disgraced they left it and came back to Islam.
- You were commanded by Allah to disgrace kufr because if you don't disgrace kufr weak
- Muslims are going to apostate and become democrats or communists.
- When Communism was strong, millions of weak Muslims became communists but when
communism was disgraced they left it and came back to Islam.
- Today, many Muslims believe in democracy.
- In order for these millions of Muslims to return to Islam you need to disgrace democracy.
- They are not Muslims at the moment because democracy is the religion of the shaitaan.
And [Ibrahim's (Abraham)] invoking (of Allah) for his father's forgiveness was only because of a promise he [Ibrahim (Abraham)] had made to him (his father). But when it became clear to him [Ibrahim (Abraham)] that he (his father) is an enemy to Allah, he dissociated himself from him. Verily Ibrahim (Abraham) was Al-Awwah (has fifteen different meanings but the correct one seems to be that he used to invoke Allah with humility, glorify Him and remember Him much), and was forbearing. (Tafsir Al-Qurtubi).
- Al walaa wal baraa is called Millat Ibrahim.- When Abu Muhammad al Maqdisi wrote his book on al walaa wal baraa he called his book
- If you want to practice al walaa wal baraa learn from Abraham because that is called Millat Ibrahim.
Concerning al walaa wal baraa, surah 58:22:
You (O Muhammad SAW) will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW ), even though they were their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Ruh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And We will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of Allah. Verily, it is the Party of Allah that will be the successful.
- If you find out your parents or you children are enemies of Islam you make baraa from
- Bara is to break off all links.
- For you to practice al walaa wal baraa you need iman.
- If you don't have iman you are going love people who hate Islam.
- A munafiq loves people who hate Islam.
- One of the prerequisites to practice al walaa wal baraa is to have iman.
Then he cast a glance at the stars (to deceive them),
And he said: "Verily, I am sick (with plague. He did this trick to remain in their temple of idols to destroy them and not to accompany them to the pagan's feast)."
- Abraham said saqeem meaning his sickness is contagious.- They used to have a festival; they used to leave the city to celebrate it.
- When he said he is sick, this was one of the lies of Abraham.
Narrated Abu Huraira: Abraham did not tell a lie except on three occasions. Twice for the Sake of Allah when he said, "I am sick," and he said, "(I have not done this but) the big idol has done it." The (third was) that while Abraham and Sarah (his wife) were going (on a journey) they passed by (the territory of) a tyrant. Someone said to the tyrant, "This man (i.e. Abraham) is accompanied by a very charming lady." So, he sent for Abraham and asked him about Sarah saying, "Who is this lady?" Abraham said, "She is my sister." Abraham went to Sarah and said, "O Sarah! There are no believers on the surface of the earth except you and I. This man asked me about you and I have told him that you are my sister, so don't contradict my statement." The tyrant then called Sarah and when she went to him, he tried to take hold of her with his hand, but (his hand got stiff and) he was confounded. He asked Sarah. "Pray to Allah for me, and I shall not harm you." So Sarah asked Allah to cure him and he got cured. He tried to take hold of her for the second time, but (his hand got as stiff as or stiffer than before and) was more confounded. He again requested Sarah, "Pray to Allah for me, and I will not harm you." Sarah asked Allah again and he became alright. He then called one of his guards (who had brought her) and said, "You have not brought me a human being but have brought me a devil." The tyrant then gave Hajar as a girl-servant to Sarah. Sarah came back (to Abraham) while he was praying. Abraham, gesturing with his hand, asked, "What has happened?" She replied, "Allah has spoiled the evil plot of the infidel (or immoral person) and gave me Hajar for service." (Abu Huraira then addressed his listeners saying,
"That (Hajar) was your mother, O Bani Ma-is-Sama (i.e. the Arabs, the descendants of Ishmael, Hajar's son).
[Sahih Bukhari, Book 55, Vol.4, No.578]
The scholars stated that attributing lies to Ibrahim in this context, does not mean explicit lying. According to Al-Haafith Ibn Hajar Ibn ‘Aqeel said: “Reasoning makes it impossible to attribute explicit lying to Ibrahim. It is decided by the mind that a Messenger must be trustworthy and reliable in order that people would give trust to what he convey from Allah The Almighty. Of course, such reliability cannot exist when it is possible to attribute lies to him; then, what would the case be if lies do come from him? Here, ascribing lying to him is for what he said took the form of lying from the perspective of the listener. Having established this, Ibrahim would not call it as lying except in the case of severe terror (on the Day of Judgment), due to his high rank, otherwise, explicit lying in such situations (mentioned above) is permissible, and it may be obligatory out of bearing the lesser of two harms to eliminate the greater of them. “As for giving those the name of lies, then it does not mean that they are blameworthy. Lying, regardless of being hideous and defective, may be considered good in some situations, and this is one of them.
Allah Knows best.
- You are allowed to lie to save a marriage.- You can lie on the battlefield.
- You can lie for two Muslims who are carrying grudges and don't speak to each other for
them to make up.
- You can lie on the battlefield because the Prophet said that war is deception.
- These are the three occasions when you can lie.
So they turned away from him, and departed (for fear of the disease).
- They turned away from Ibrahim out of fear that they will catch his disease.
Then he turned to their aliha (gods) and said: "Will you not eat (of the offering before you)?
- Barelvis offer food to the graves today.- A Barelvi is a kaafir just like a Hindu.
- There is no difference between the two; they are pagans.
- To pray behind a Barelvi is like praying behind a Hindu.
What is the matter with you that you speak not?"
- In other words you are lifeless; you can't speak.
- When you don't make sounds you are dead.
Then he turned upon them, striking (them) with (his) right hand.
- Abraham was right-handed.- The Prophet Muhammad was also right-handed.
- Abraham didn't want to go with them to their pagan festival.
- He wanted to demolish their idols.
- This is why he said he is sick so he can't go with them.
Then they (the worshippers of idols) came, towards him, hastening.
He said: "Worship you that which you (yourselves) carve?
While Allah has created you and what you make!
They said: "Build for him a building (it is said that the building was like a furnace) and throw him into the blazing fire!"
- When they were building the fire for Abraham, all the animals tried to put the fire out.- The gecko is the only animal that didn't try to put the fire out.
- This is the only animal that didn't want the fire to go out.
- All the other animals were crying for Abraham.
Narrated By Um Sharik: the Messenger of Allah (SAWS) ordered that the salamander should be killed and said, "It (i.e. the salamander) blew (the fire) on Abraham."
[Sahih Bukhari (4/141) No. 3359]
So they plotted a plot against him, but We made them the lowest. (As-Saffat 37:98)
- The reason why their plot went to waste is because Allah is the best of Planners.
- Kaafirs plot but Allah Plans and Allah is the best of Planners.
And they (disbelievers) plotted [to kill 'Iesa (Jesus)], and Allah planned too. And Allah is the Best of the planners.
(Al Imran 3:54)
And he said (after his rescue from the fire): "Verily, I am going to my Lord. He will guide me!"
- Allah commanded the fire to be calm upon Abraham.
[Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "Do you then worship besides Allah, things that can neither profit you, nor harm you?
"Fie upon you, and upon that which you worship besides Allah! Have you then no sense?"
They said: "Burn him and help your aliha (gods), if you will be doing."
We (Allah) said: "O fire! Be you coolness and safety for Ibrahim (Abraham)!"
And they wanted to harm him, but We made them the worst losers.
- The Hindus need to ask the same question that is in the above ayah (21:67).
- You are worshipping gods that you make with your own two hands.
- Your god should make you, not you make your gods.