TAFSEER SURAH AL-FURQAAN
HUMILITY: A TRAIT OF THE BELIEVERS
BY SHAIKH ABDULLAH AL-FAISAL
Wednesday, 10 July 2013
Notes typed by AT8
Edited by AT6
Blessed be He Who has placed in the heaven big stars, and has placed therein a great lamp (sun), and a moon giving light.
- Ayah 61 of Surah Al-Furqaan speaks about a Scientific Fact.
- The scientific fact is that the Sun is called a LAMP.
- This is because the Sun produces its own light and heat.
- However, Allah never refers to the Moon as a lamp.
- The reason for this is that the moon has no light of its own.
- It reflects the light of the sun.
- Allah also spoke about the stars in Ayah 61.
"Allah created these stars for three purposes: to adorn the heavens, to stone the devils and as signs by which to navigate. Whoever seeks anything else in them is mistaken and does not benefit from them, and he is wasting his time and effort in seeking something of which he has no knowledge."
[Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Baab fi'l-Nujoom, 2/240]
- He created the STARS for THREE reasons and there is no fourth reason.
REASON # 1 - To decorate the night sky
REASON # 2 - To help mankind navigate their journey on land and sea
REASON # 3 - To use as missiles to drive away the Shayateen
And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the Shayātin (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire.
- The Prophet (SAWS) said that there are four matters of Jahiliyyah that his Ummah will never abandon.
- One of them is to seek help from the stars to get rain.
Abu Malik al-Ashari narrated the Prophet (SAW) said: ”There are four matters of jaahiliyyah that exist among my ummah and they will not give them up: boasting about one’s forefathers, casting aspersions upon people’s lineages, seeking rain by the stars and wailing for the dead.” [Sahih Muslim (Vol. 2 pg. 644) No. 934]
Abu Malik al-Ashari narrated the Prophet (SAW) said: ”There are four matters of jaahiliyyah that exist among my ummah and they will not give them up: boasting about one’s forefathers, casting aspersions upon people’s lineages, seeking rain by the stars and wailing for the dead.”
[Sahih Muslim (Vol. 2 pg. 644) No. 934]
- ALLAH told us that mankind takes for granted the SIGN of the DAY and NIGHT
And He it is Who has put the night and the day in succession, for such who desires to remember or desires to show his gratitude.
- The DAY and NIGHT take over from each other continuously, without any lapses.
- This organised function is a SIGN of ALLAH.
- Since we see it each day of our lives we take it for granted.
Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, there are indeed signs for men of understanding.
(Aali Imran 3:190)
Those who remember Allāh (always, and in prayers) standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth, (saying): "Our Lord! You have not created (all) this without purpose, glory to You! (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners). Give us salvation from the torment of the Fire.
(Aali Imran 3:191)
- When debating with the atheists, we use the sign of the alternation of night and day to refute their ideology that the world came about by accident.
And in the alternation of night and day, and the provision (rain) that Allāh sends down from the sky, and revives therewith the earth after its death, and in the turning about of the winds (i.e. sometimes towards the east or north, and sometimes towards the south or west etc., sometimes bringing glad tidings of rain etc., and sometimes bringing the torment), are signs for a people who understand.
- We say to the atheists, by your logic anything that comes about by accident must therefore continue to exist by accident.
- However, our universe actually works in order and perfection because it is GOVERNED by ALLAH.
Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, and the ships which sail through the sea with that which is of use to mankind, and the water (rain) which Allāh sends down from the sky and makes the earth alive therewith after its death, and the moving (living) creatures of all kinds that He has scattered therein, and in the veering of winds and clouds which are held between the sky and the earth, are indeed Ayāt (proofs, evidences, signs, etc.) for people of understanding.
And the slaves of the Most Beneficent (Allāh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness.
- The Righteous servants of Al-Rahman walk on the Earth with HUMILITY.
- Therefore Humility is one of the traits of Allah's righteous servant.
On authority of Abu Hurairah who said that the messenger of Allah (SAW) said that Allah Glorified and Exalted be He said: “Pride is My Cloak and Greatness My Robe, and he who competes with me in respect of either of them I shall cast him into Hell-Fire”
[Sunnan Abu Dawud (English trans.) vol. 3, pg.1141 No.4079]
- ALLAH does not allow anyone to share in HIS RULE and AUTHORITY
and He makes none to share in His Decision and His Rule."
- The POWER, the AUTHORITY and HONOUR belongs to ALLAH
- When Luqmaan the Wise was grooming his son to become a Da'ee, he advised his son to be HUMBLE and to abstain from PRIDE.
"And turn not your face away from men with pride, nor walk in insolence through the earth. Verily, Allāh likes not each arrogant boaster.
- Pride is the first disgrace because ALLAH always humiliates the PROUD.
- Allah also said the righteous servants of Ar-Rahman do not indulge in arguments with the Ignorant folk.
- Instead the righteous servants say Peace, and leave them.
Narrated by ‘Aishah that the Prophet said: “The most despicable person to Allah is one who is harshly argumentative."
[al-Bukhari (2457) and Muslim (2668)]
- In the above mentioned hadith the Prophet (SAWS) said that the most despicable person in the sight of ALLAH is the one who is harshly argumentative.
- A person who is harshly argumentative is said to be cantankerous.
Whereas in another hadith the Prophet (SAWS) said that ALLAH has created a mansion in Paradise for the servant who gives up arguing even though he was right.
Abu Umamah Al-Bahili (RA) reported: Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners."
[Sunan Abu Dawud (4/253) No. 4800]
- Imam Shafi'ii debated with many Scholars and he defeated them, but Imam Shafi'ii lost the debate with an ignoramus.
- This is because the ignoramus does not allow you to speak.
- Instead he screams and screams and usurps the time
- Debating with the ignoramus is beneath the status of the righteous servant because he wastes your time.
And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like the mountains in height.
- ALLAH spoke about pride, arrogance, conceitedness and height in the above Ayah
- Your height gives you the opportunity to lead people in the community.
- A midget cannot become the president of a country
- Your height can make you proud and arrogant.
- Many brothers get their marriage proposals turned down because they are short
- Your height can make you look down on others and make you call other people names.
- Therefore we need to humble ourselves because there are other Creations of Allah that are much taller than you.
- The solution is to work towards gaining TAQWA.
And those who spend the night before their Lord, prostrate and standing.
- In Ayah 64, Allah speaks about the people who bow down their foreheads in SUJOOD.
Muhammad (SAW) is the Messenger of Allāh, and those who are with him are severe against disbelievers, and merciful among themselves. You see them bowing and falling down prostrate (in prayer), seeking Bounty from Allāh and (His) Good Pleasure. The mark of them (i.e. of their Faith) is on their faces (foreheads) from the traces of (their) prostration (during prayers). This is their description in the Taurāt (Torah).
- You are allowed to make Dua to Allah in your SAJDA and ask for what you want.
- You can only make Dua in Arabic in FARD prayers.
- However you can make dua in English while in sajda in SUNNAH or NAAFIL prayers.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The closest a person can be to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a great deal of du’aa’ (at that time).”
[Narrated by Muslim, 482]
- The Shaytaan envies a man when he is in Sajda and wishes himself to be in Sajda as well.
- The best time to ask Allah for what you want is in Sajda because that is the closest you can get to ALLAH.
And those who say: "Our Lord! Avert from us the torment of Hell. Verily! Its torment is ever an inseparable, permanent punishment." (Al-Furqan 25:65)
- One of the characteristics of the Servants of Ar-Rahman is that they seek refuge from the HELLFIRE.
- The Hellfire is already created.
- When you suffer the cold of Winter, it is the Hellfire taking a breath of cold air.
- When you suffer the heat of summer, it is the Hellfire taking a breath of hot air.
Narrated By Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "In very hot weather delay the Zuhr prayer till it becomes (a bit) cooler because the severity of heat is from the raging of Hell-fire. The Hell-fire of Hell complained to its Lord saying: O Lord! My parts are eating (destroying) one another. So Allah allowed it to take two breaths, one in the winter and the other in the summer. The breath in the summer is at the time when you feel the severest heat and the breath in the winter is at the time when you feel the severest cold."
[Sahih Bukhari, Vol 1, Book 10,Hadith #512]
- The Hellfire is temporary for the bad Muslims but PERMANENT for the Kaafirs and the Hypocrites.
- The section of Hellfire that the bad Muslims will go to is called the JAHEEM.
- Mankind is divided into three categories: MUSLIM, HYPOCRITE and KAAFIR.
- Every human being will pass over the HELLFIRE, but not every human being will go into the FIRE.
- This is because some of us will cross the Siraat with the speed of lightning.
There is not one of you but will pass over it (Hell); this is with your Lord; a Decree which must be accomplished.
Evil indeed it (Hell) is as an abode and as a place to dwell. (Al-Furqan 25:66)
- The Hellfire is evil because the food of the hellfire is from the Tree of Zaqqoom.
- These fruits are so bitter that it will cause the stomachs of the people of the fire to burn like the oil in a pan
- The people of the Hellfire when thirsty will get BOILING WATER and the PUS of the people of the Hellfire to drink.
They will be given to drink from a boiling spring,
No food will there be for them but a poisonous thorny plant,
Which will neither nourish nor avail against hunger.
- Every time the skin of the people of Hellfire will burn, their burnt skin will be replaced with new skin for them to taste the punishment again.
Surely! Those who disbelieved in Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) We shall burn them in Fire. As often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for other skins that they may taste the punishment. Truly, Allāh is Ever Most Powerful, AllWise. (An-Nisa 4:56)
- The above-mentioned Ayah is clear evidence that the HELLFIRE is everlasting for the KUFFAAR.
- The clothing of the people of Hellfire is made of FIRE as well.
Their garments will be of pitch, and fire will cover their faces.
- On Judgement Day, ALLAH will dump the idols the kuffaar worship along with them into the HELLFIRE.
- The fuel of the Hellfire will be MEN and STONES.
O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and your families a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allāh, but do that which they are commanded.
- The ANGELS do as they are commanded.
- Those who say Iblis was a fallen angel are delusional.
- Angels do not disobey ALLAH.
- The Hellfire has 7 GATES.
- The Hypocrites will be in the lowest part of the Hellfire.
Verily, the hypocrites will be in the lowest depths (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them.