TAFSEER SURAH AL-BAQARAH:
MAN AND JINN WERE CREATED TO WORSHIP ALLAH
By Shaikh Abdullah Faisal
30 July 2013 / 21 Ramadan 1434
Notes typed by AT6
Edited by AT6
And when they meet those who believe, they say: "We believe," but when they are alone with their Shayātin (devils - polytheists, hypocrites, etc.), they say: "Truly, we are with you; verily, we were but mocking." (Al-Baqarah 2:14)
- Hypocrites have 2 faces and 2 tongues
- A hypocrite could have more than 2 faces; they could have 10 faces.
- When he is with the Muslims, he makes them happy; when he is with the agnostics, he makes them happy, etc.
- He wants to make everyone happy.
- He will never take a stance and stick to it.
- He is seeking fame and fortune.
- He wants to be popular in every circle so he won't take a stance and stick to it.
- That is the modus operandi of a munafiq.
- His stance is hypocrisy.
- Politicians who campaign in democratic elections are hypocrites.
- They want everyone to be happy with them.
- How can you make the Muslim community and the gay community happy at the same time?
- They are hypocrites; they want to make everyone happy to win votes.
- They will say to the gay community they will make them happy by giving them so-called rights.
- They will say to the Muslim community they will build a Masjid for them to make them happy.
- They have to dance to every tune.
- As a believer you have to make your desires in tune with pleasing Allah, not the various communities.
- Your aim and objective is to please Allah and you don't fear the blame of the blamers.
- This is the attitude of the Muslim.
O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islām), Allāh will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Way of Allāh, and never afraid of the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allāh which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allāh is AllSufficient for His creatures' needs, AllKnower. (Al-Ma'idah 5:54)
Allah will throw back their mockery on them, and give them rope in their trespasses; so they will wander like blind ones (To and fro). (Al-Baqarah 2:15)
- Allah threw back their mockery by imposing on them rules and regulations which they can't carry out.
- This is how they are exposed.
- For example, they can't wake up for Fajr so they expose themselves.
- They can't go for Jihad; they undermine Jihad and put dodgy conditions on it.
- They put conditions such as ‘no Jihad without a caliph’.
- The battle of Ain Jaloot took place without a caliph in 1260 C.E.
- Where did you get your dodgy conditions from?
- They expose themselves when they speak.
- The battle against the USSR took place without a caliph.
- The Muslims destroyed the USSR.
- Sheikh Bin Baz said Jihad is FARD AL AYN on the Muslims to fight the USSR who invaded Afghanistan in 1979.
- When you open your filthy mouth and put dodgy conditions on Jihad you expose yourself as a munafiq.
- When Allah said Allah will throw back their mockery on them, He meant He is going to impose on you obligations you can't fulfill.
- When Allah said and give them rope in their trespasses, it means Allah gives you enough rope to hang yourselves.
- You buckle under pressure and you don't have the Taqwa to carry out these obligations.
- You hang yourselves by exposing yourselves.
These are they who have purchased error for guidance, so their commerce was profitless. And they were not guided. (Al-Baqarah 2:16)
- The hypocrites entered into a barter system. They trade Islam for Kufr.
- It was a barter system. No money exchange took place.
- They give up Islam in exchange for Kufr but this barter system is profitless.
- They were not guided.
- The reason why they entered into this barter system was because they had no guidance.
- Many people gave up Islam when they went to the West and they entered into the barter system.
- They abandoned Islam and adopted Kufr instead.
- Their commerce is profitless.
- When a person is a hypocrite, apostasy is always on his agenda.
- This is because a hypocrite is not convinced about his Islamic faith.
- Therefore it is easy for him to apostate.
Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindled a fire; then, when it lighted all around him, Allāh took away their light and left them in darkness. (So) they could not see. (Al-Baqarah 2:17)
- Ayah 17 is a parable.
- Allah gave you this parable because a hypocrite goes backward and forward in Islam.
- When he was inside the fold of Islam he enjoyed Light, but when he apostated his light was taken away from him.
- Islam is Light and Kufr is Darkness so Allah gave you this Parable.
- Allah is AL-HAKEEM (All Wise) so Allah is the Greatest Teacher.
- You will be made to cross the Siraat and you will need light to see it.
- The hypocrites will want to benefit from the light of the believers.
- They used to go backward and forward in the Deen in the Dunya
- So Allah will treat them the same way in the Akhira.
- The hypocrites won't be able to benefit from the light of the believers because Allah shall erect a wall to deprive them of it.
On the Day when the hypocrites men and women will say to the believers: "Wait for us! Let us get something from your light!" It will be said: "Go back to your rear! Then seek a light!" So a wall will be put up between them, with a gate therein. Inside it will be mercy, and outside it will be torment." (Al-Hadid 57:13)
- You can't go backward and forward in the deen. You need to hold fast to the truth and have Sabr.
- You have to be constant and persistent.
- Imam Shafi’i said if Allah had revealed surah Asr by itself, it should have been sufficient to guide us to the straight path.
They are deaf, dumb, and blind, so they return not (to the Right Path). (Al-Baqarah 2:18)
- There are two types of deafness, dumbness and blindness: PHYSICAL and SPIRITUAL.
- The man who hears the Quran but it does not penetrate his heart is spiritually deaf.
- So there are two types of deafness: spiritually deaf and physically deaf
- There are 2 types of blindness: spiritually blind and physically blind.
- Abdullah ibn Umm Maktum was a blind man and he came to the Prophet and the Prophet frowned.
- The Prophet frowned and turned away because the blind man came to him while he was preaching to the chiefs of Quraish.
(The Prophet (Peace be upon him)) frowned and turned away, ('Abasa 80:1)
Because there came to him the blind man (i.e. 'Abdullāh bin Umm-Maktûm, who came to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) while he was preaching to one or some of the Quraish chiefs). ('Abasa 80:2)
But what could tell you that per chance he might become pure (from sins)? ('Abasa 80:3)
Or that he might receive admonition, and that the admonition might profit him? ('Abasa 80:4)
As for him who thinks himself self-sufficient, ('Abasa 80:5)
To him you attend; ('Abasa 80:6)
What does it matter to you if he will not become pure (from disbelief, you are only a Messenger, your duty is to convey the Message of Allāh). ('Abasa 80:7)
But as to him who came to you running. ('Abasa 80:8)
And is afraid (of Allāh and His Punishment), ('Abasa 80:9)
Of him you are neglectful and divert your attention to another, ('Abasa 80:10)
Nay, (do not do like this), indeed it (these Verses of this Qur'ān) are an admonition, ('Abasa 80:11)
- Abdullah ibn Umm Maktum was a blind man but he took shahada.
- The real blind man is the one who his blind in is heart not blind in his eyes.
- He used his heart to see the truth because he was blind in his eyes not in his heart.
- This is why he took his shahada and he was able to see the truth.
- When Allah said they are deaf, dumb, and blind, the people Allah is speaking about are the ones who are spiritually deaf, dumb and blind, not physically.
- There are two types of death as well: spiritually dead and physically dead.
- The Prophet said a man who remembers Allah is alive and the man who forgets Allah is dead.
Abu Musa (رضی اللہ عنہ) narrates that the Holy Prophet (صلی اللہ علیہ وآلہ وسلم) said,” He who remembers his Lord and he who does not are like the living and the dead.”[Bukhari, as-Sahih (5:2353 #6044)
- When the Prophet said the man who forgets Allah is dead, the Prophet meant spiritually dead.
Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder, and lightning. They thrust their fingers in their ears to keep out the stunning thunderclap for fear of death. But Allāh ever encompasses the disbelievers (i.e. Allāh will gather them all together). (Al-Baqarah 2:19)
- This is another similitude Allah is bringing.
- Allah is telling you whenever a person is a hypocrite, he instinctively fears death.
- He thinks every lightning that flashes is coming to get him.
And when you look at them, their bodies please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as blocks of wood propped up. They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies, so beware of them. May Allāh curse them! How are they denying (or deviating from) the Right Path. (Al-Munafiqun 63:4)
- The cry Allah is speaking about in the abovementioned ayah is the thunder clap and the flash of lightning.
- They think Allah is coming to get them because they are fake Muslims.
- The hypocrites fear death so they put dodgy conditions on Jihad.
- For example, you have to be firmly grounded in knowledge before you can go to the frontline.
Those who believe say: "Why is not a Sûrah (chapter of the Qur'ān) sent down (for us)? But when a decisive Sûrah (explaining and ordering things) is sent down, and fighting (Jihād holy fighting in Allāh's Cause) is mentioned (i.e. ordained) therein, you will see those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy) looking at you with a look of one fainting to death. But it was better for them (hypocrites, to listen to Allāh and to obey Him). (Muhammad 47:20)
- When Allah revealed the ayah to fight, Allah said Qitaal (fighting) because it is impossible to put a spin on the word Qitaal.
- The word Qitaal has no ambiguities around it.
- If Allah said Jihad, the hypocrites would have said Allah meant the jihad of the pen or the jihad of the nafs etc.
- If you abandon jihad the Kaafirs are going to invade your countries and desecrate your holy places so it would have been better for the hypocrites to have gone to the frontline
- The hypocrites love cowardice even though it is bad for them.
Fighting has been enjoined upon you while it is hateful to you. But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not. (Al-Baqarah 2:216)
The lightning almost snatches away their sight, whenever it flashes for them, they walk therein, and when darkness covers them, they stand still. And if Allāh willed, He could have taken away their hearing and their sight. Certainly, Allāh has power over all things. (Al-Baqarah 2:20)
- Allah is saying to the hypocrites, He knows who they are but He grants them respite.
- Allah is giving them enough rope to hang themselves because Allah could have taken away their sight through a lightning strike.
O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allāh), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqûn (the pious - see V.2:2). (Al-Baqarah 2:21)
- Piety is to place between yourselves and the wrath of Allah a barrier by doing what is Fard and abstaining from the Haraam.
- We are presently fasting in the month of Ramadan and Allah said the purpose of commanding us to fast is to learn piety.
- Aisha said if you backbite while fasting, you break your fast.
- The Islamic concept of worship is comprehensive. It is not just to go down in Sajda in Salah; that is just one aspect of worship.
- We do not marginalise worship to Salah.
- According to the Islamic concept of worship, when you implement sharia you are worshipping Allah.
- When you implement manmade isms and schisms you are worshipping Iblis.
- Therefore Allah told you in Surah Yusuf verse 76, when Prophet Yusuf hid the cup of the king in the bag of Binyamin and he was caught with the cup of the king, Allah said Prophet Yusuf could not take his brother by the law (Deen) of the king.
So he [Yûsuf (Joseph)] began (the search) in their bags before the bag of his brother. Then he brought it out of his brother's bag. Thus did We plan for Yûsuf (Joseph). He could not take his brother by the law of the king (as a slave), except that Allāh willed it. (So Allāh made the brothers to bind themselves with their way of "punishment, i.e. enslaving of a thief.") We raise to degrees whom We please, but over all those endowed with knowledge is the All-Knowing (Allāh). (Yusuf 12:76)
- Allah said the Deen of the king.
- This ayah (12:76) proves that the law you implement is your Deen.
- You can't separate law from your religion.
- A Prophet saw a man coming to him with a cross around his neck.
- The man's name was Adee ibn Hatim.
- The Prophet read Surah Tawbah verse 31.
They (Jews and Christians) took their rabbis and their monks to be their lords besides Allah (At-Tawbah 9:31)
- Adee ibn Hatim said we don't worship our priests and rabbis.
- The Prophet said, don't they make halal haraam and haraam halal and you followed them in this? The man replied yes.
- The Prophet said this is how they worshipped their priests and rabbis.
'Adi Ibn Hatim said that he came to the Prophet (sallalahu alaihi wa sallam)wearing a gold cross around his neck. The Prophet (sallalahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "O 'Adi! Throw away this idol from yourself." Then the Prophet sallalahu alaihi wa sallam recited the verse: They (Jews and Christians) took their rabbis and their monks to be their lords besides Allah" (9:31) "It was not that they worshipped these people, but rather whatever they made permissible for them, they believed it to be permissible and whatever they forbade, they believed to be unlawful. " (Tirmidhi)
- Adee ibn Hatim took his shahada after the Prophet explained this to him.
- So Allah is speaking about a worship which is comprehensive which means to implement the Sharia, not just to pray.
- You are not allowed to be a secularist; a secularist is a Kaafir.
- The Free Syrian Army wants democracy and Jabhat Al-Nusra want Sharia so there is going to be a war between them after Bashar al Assad is toppled.
- If you believe in democracy you are a Kaafir because democracy is the religion of the Satan.
- If you believe in manmade laws you are like the man who bows down to an idol.
While 'Allama al-Shinqiti-May Allah be merciful with him-has said: To commit shirk with Allah in judging is of the same meaning as to commit shirk in His worship, there is no difference between the two in any manner. There is no difference in any sense between he who follows a system (nizam) other than Allah's system or law other than Allah's law (sharia) and he who worships an idol or prostrates to a false god. They are the same and both are polytheists [associating others] with Allah. [Adwa' al-Bayan, (7/162)
- Allah said the only reason you have been created is to worship Him.
And I (Allāh) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). (Adh-Dhariyat 51:56)
- If you don't worship Allah, you worship others beside Him, your destiny shall be in the Hellfire because there is no such thing called the excuse of ignorance for worshipping a false deity.
- We testified against ourselves so we can't use the excuse of ignorance on Judgment Day.
And (remember) when your Lord brought forth from the Children of Adam, from their loins, their seed (or from Adam's loin his offspring) and made them testify as to themselves (saying): "Am I not your Lord?" They said: "Yes! We testify," lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: "Verily, we have been unaware of this." (Al-A'raf 7:172)
- The abovementioned ayah is the hujjah that there is no such a thing called the excuse of ignorance for worshipping a false deity.
- Don't listen to the wicked scholars; they have no evidence for what they are preaching.
- The Prophet's father died before the Prophet was born yet he said his father is in the hellfire because there is no such a thing called the excuse of ignorance for worshipping a false deity.
Narrated from Anas (RA) that a man said: “O Messenger of Allah, where is my father?” He said: “In Hell.” When he turned away he called him back and said: “My father and your father are in Hell.” [Sahih Muslim (Vol. 1, pg. 191) No. 203
Who has made the earth a resting place for you, and the sky as a canopy, and sent down water (rain) from the sky and brought forth therewith fruits as a provision for you. Then do not set up rivals unto Allāh (in worship) while you know (that He Alone has the right to be worshipped). (Al-Baqarah 2:22)
- The sky is a canopy because without the sky the heat of the sun would have been unbearable.
- Without water life will not be sustainable on Earth; plants, animals and humans will die without water.
- In this ayah, Allah is using Tawheed Rububiyyah as evidence for Tawheed Ibadah.
- Since Allah is the only One who can create water and there is no replacement for it, Allah is the only One who deserves to be worshipped and praised.
This is the creation of Allāh. So show Me that which those (whom you worship), besides Him have created. Nay, the Zālimûn (polytheists, wrongdoers and those who do not believe in the Oneness of Allāh) are in plain error. (Luqman 31:11)
- These idols you are worshipping are wood and stone.
- Allah is saying show me what these false deities you are worshipping have created
- So Allah uses Tawheed Rububiyyah as evidence for Tawheed Ibadah.