بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
SHARH OF BULUGH AL MARAAM
Book 2, Chapter 4: The Sutrah
(Partition in front of one who is praying), Page 89
BY SHAIKH ABDULLAH AL-FAISAL
3rd February 2013/22 Rabi Al-Awal A.H.
QUESTION & ANSWER:
Does arm’s length mean from shoulder to wrist or elbow to wrist?
- Arm’s length means the length of your arm from the shoulder to the fingers.
- This is not fard but recommended.
- For example, if you are a traveler and use your suitcase as a sutrah, this is acceptable.
- The ruling of sutrah is for the imam or a man who prays by himself.
I had a dream in which I was reciting Surah Waqiah while washing in the shower, can you explain this?
- Your dream to me means that you will experience financial progress and success.
- There is a hadith where a sahabah was dying and said he left surah Waqia for his children to take care of them.
- You may ask another shaikh for a second opinion.
Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘Whoever recites surah al Waqiah at night would never encounter poverty’
[Ibn as-Sunni 620, Bayhaqi]
Can you describe the Qareen.
Is it a Jinn and is it with a human being from birth to death. The prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said Allah helped him against it and the devil has become Muslim and only commands him to do good. Can we somehow make the devil that is permanently with us, a Muslim?
How do we do it and what understanding of it should we have in order to do righteous deeds.
- The qareen means a companion from the jinn.
- It is mentioned in Quran and hadith.
And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allāh) (i.e. this Qur'ān and worship of Allāh), We appoint for him Shaitān (Satan devil) to be a Qarīn (an intimate companion) to him.
- So the qareen is a reality.
'Aisha the wife of Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), reported that one day Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) came out of her (apartment) during the night and she felt jealous. Then he came and he saw me (in what agitated state of mind) I was. He said: 'Aisha, what has happened to you? Do you feel jealous? Thereupon she said: How can it he (that a woman like me) should not feel jealous in regard to a husband like you. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: It was your devil who had come to you, and she said: Allah's Messenger is there along with me a devil? He said: Yes. I said: Is devil attached to everyone? He said: Yes. I ('Aisha) again said: Allah's Messenger, is it with you also? He said: Yes, but my Lord has helped me against him and as such I am absolutely safe from his mischief.
[Sahih Muslim, Book 39 Hadith 6759]
- The Prophet also had the special merit that his qareen was made a Muslim.
- Another of his special merits was that he could see what was happening behind him.
- He also was the only Prophet sent to all mankind.
- You can subdue your qareen with righteousness.
Sa'd b. Waqqas reported that Umar sought permission from Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) to visit him when some women of the Quraish were busy in talking with him and raising their voices above his voice. When 'Umar sought permission they stood up and went hurriedly behind the curtain. Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) gave him permission smilingly. Thereupon 'Umar said: Allah's Messenger, may Allah keep you happy all your life. Then Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: I wonder at these women who were with me and no sooner did they hear your voice, they immediately went behind the curtain. Thereupon 'Umar said: Allah's Messenger, you have more right that they should fear you. Then Umar (addressing the women) said: O ye enemies of yourselves do you fear me and fear not the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam)? They said: Yes, you are harsh and strict as compared to the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). Thereupon, Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: By Him in Whose Hand is my life, if Satan would encounter you in the way he would certainly take a different way from that of yours.
[Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Hadith 5899]
- These people who do not subdue their qareen hear voices.
- They give tablets for these people.
- Western education can’t cope with this.
- This is a spiritual issue.
- He is hearing the voice of his qareen.
- When you don’t practice the deen, your qareen becomes very active.
- Whatever your qareen likes you will do.
- If he likes alcohol you will drink.
- If he is a gay, you will become gay.
- If it is a lesbian you will become a lesbian.
- People who practice the deen do not hear voices.
- They only whisper to those not properly on the deen.
- Some of them suffer from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and the like.
- There are over 400 mental illnesses all from the shaitan.
- Bipolar diagnosis means you have mood swings.
- If you are properly on your deen you will not hear voices.
- In the west it is a very permissive society.
- They dabble in all kinds of haram.
- So they have mental illnesses.
- Then they end up in the mental home.
- There was no mental hospital in the time of the Prophet.
- There was no old peoples’ home.
- This is something from the west.
Whatever of good reaches you, is from Allāh, but whatever of evil befalls you, and is from yourself. And We have sent you (O Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) as a Messenger to mankind, and Allāh is Sufficient as a Witness.
- The kaffir psychologists do not know who Allah is.
- They don't do instinja.
- You should not rely on them.
- Black magic and the evil eye are reality.
Sahl ibn Haneef narrated that the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) came out and traveled with him towards Makkah, until they were in the mountain passes of al-Kharaar in al-Jahfah. There Sahl ibn Haneef did ghusl, and he was a handsome white-skinned man with beautiful skin. ‘Aamir ibn Rabee’ah, one of Banu ‘Adiyy ibn Ka’b looked at him whilst he was doing ghusl and said: “I have never seen such beautiful skin as this, not even the skin of a virgin,” and Sahl fell to the ground. They went to Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) came and said, “O Messenger of Allah, can you do anything for Sahl, because by Allah he cannot raise his head.” He said, “Do you accuse anyone with regard to him?” They said, “ ‘Aamir ibn Rabee’ah looked at him.” So the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) called ‘Aamir and rebuked him strongly. He said, “Why would one of you kill his brother? If you see something that you like, then pray for blessing for him.” Then he said to him, “Wash yourself for him.” So he washed his face, hands, forearms, knees and the sides of his feet, and inside his izaar (lower garment) in the vessel. Then that water was poured over him, and a man poured it over his head and back from behind. He did that to him, then Sahl got up and joined the people and there was nothing wrong with him.
[Musnad Ahmad (3/486) No. 16023, Muwatta Malik (2/117) No. 1973, Sahih Ibn Hibban (13/470) No. 6106]
‘A’ishah (RA) said: The person who had put the evil eye on another would be ordered to do wudoo’, then the person who had been afflicted would wash himself (with that water).
[Sunan Abu Dawud (4/9) No. 3880]
- If you see a brother with something good say MaashaAllah.
- If you see him with a new car say Maashaallah.
I was debating with a ash'ari/berailvi about Allah not being like the creation and being over the heavens, he started saying that ibn Taymiyyah said in his fatawa that Allah descends like how He descends from his mimbar, I asked him for the specific page number etc but he did not have it, I told him this was not true, was this correct?
- There are a lot of people who slander Ibn Taymiyyah.
- They slander anyone anytime.
- They accused shaikh of having a bastard child in New York.
On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (RA), who said that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "Our Lord (glorified and exalted be He) descends each night to the earth's sky when there remains the final third of the night, and He says: 'Who is saying a prayer to Me that I may answer it? Who is asking something of Me that I may give it him? Who is asking forgiveness of Me that I may forgive him?'"
[Al-Bukhari (7494) (also by Muslim (758), Malik (619), at-Tirmidhi (3498) and Abu Dawud (1315)]
...There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.
- Allah descends in a way that befits His majesty.
- There is no comparing anything to Allah.
"And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him." (Al-Ikhlas 112:4)
- We are curious to see this statement attributed to ibn Taymiyyah.
What if you don’t know who has done the evil eye on you? What should you do then?
- If you don't know who did it you are in a predicament.
- The evil eye can kill.
- Doctors cannot diagnose this.
- This is above them.
- They do all kinds of tests and cannot find out what is wrong.
- The only way to find out who did the evil eye if they don’t speak is to use body language.
- You have to use intuition.
- You can look in someone’s face and figure them out.
Anas ibn Malik (RA) said: I entered the company of Uthman ibn Affaan (RA) while I was thinking about the beauty of a woman I saw in the street. Uthman (RA) then said: One of you enter my presence and the remnants of zinaa can be seen in his eyes. I then said: Did revelation come down after the departure of the Rasool (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam)? Uthman said: But this is the deep insight, foresight and intuition of the believer.
[Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah, Madaarij as-Saalikeen (Vol. 2, pg. 455)]
- If you have taqwa, Allah will give you firaasa.
- Some of you have been conned out of your life savings.
- They came and gave salaams and conned you.
- Some marry and get killed by their husbands.
- These things happen to you because you do not have firaasa.
Anas Ibn Malik narrated the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "A believer is shrewd, sharp and careful."
[Quda'ee (d. 454 H) in 'Musnad al-Shihab' (Vol. 1 pg. 107) No. 128]
Abu Huraira (RA) narrated the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "A believer is not bitten from the same hole twice.”
[Related by al-Bukhari (6133) and Muslim (2998)]
O you who believe! If you obey and fear Allah, He will grant you Furqan a criterion [(to judge between right and wrong)...
- You have to use firaasa to find out who gave you the evil eye.
- The evil eye is envy.
- People will envy you if you are beautiful.
- Only beautiful women are found in 5 star hotels or doctors’ offices as receptionists.
- Men can give men the evil eye.
- Men cannot shower in front of other men.
- There is a thing called private part envy.
- Don't allow others to see you in the shower.
Bahz ibn Hakim reported from his father who from his grandfather that he asked the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam): 'from whom they should conceal their awrah and from whom not?' He said, “Guard your awrah except from your wife and what your right hand possesses (female slaves).” He asked, “O Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) what when people are with each other?” He said, “If it is possible that no one may observe your private parts, see that none sees them.” He asked, “O Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) of Allah what if one of us is alone?” He said, “But Allah has more right that people should be ashamed before Him.”[Sunan Tirmidhi (5/97) No. 2769, Sunan Abu Dawud (4/40) No. 4017, Musnad Ahmad (5/3) No. 20046]