THE SHARH OF BULUGH AL MARAAM
Book 4: Zakah, Chapter 2: Sadaqatul Fitr, Page 225
March 09 2013 / 27 Rabi Al Thani 1434
In Canada I usually send my zakat to Africa, is it ok?
- If there are no poor Muslims in Canada then it is ok to send to Africa.
who set the zakat at 2.5% of the persons wealth? How did they come to this Percentage?
- 2.5% is ijmaa of the ummah based on authentic traditions.
- It is based upon a hadith.
- If the gold reaches 85 grams you should pay 1/40th of it as zakah.
- 1/40 of 85 grams gives you 2.5%
How do you make up for Zakat you have missed paying in previous years?
- You have to use ijtihad and calculate how much you owe to the people.
- Not paying zakah is a major sin but denying that it is compulsory is an act of apostasy.
- It is very easy to pay zakah because you pay 25 dollars for every 1000 dollars.
"Whoever is made wealthy by Allah and does not pay the Zakat of his wealth, then on the Day of Resurrection his wealth will be made like a bald-headed poisonous male snake with two black spots over the eyes. The snake will encircle his neck and bite his cheeks and say, 'I am your wealth, I am your treasure.'
[Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 486]
And those who hoard up gold and silver [Al-Kanz: the money, the Zakāt of which has not been paid], and spend it not in the Way of Allāh, -announce unto them a painful torment.
- When the prophet was explaining the ayah above, he said the hadith that not paying zakah will cause your wealth to be snakes entangled around your neck.
Shaikh, is it true that every sin is a form of Kufr?
- Yes every sin is a type of kufr but there are major and minor kufr.
Ibn Mas'ud reported that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), said, "Insulting a Muslim is going off the path (fusuq) and killing him is disbelief (kufr)."
[Al-Bukhari (48) and Muslim (64)]
- Fighting your Muslim brother is kufr (minor kufr).
- Only the khawarij say otherwise.
- They paint every kufr with the same brush.
Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "An adulterer, at the time he is committing illegal sexual intercourse is not a believer; and a person, at the time of drinking an alcoholic drink is not a believer; and a thief, at the time of stealing, is not a believer." Ibn Shihab said: 'Abdul Malik bin Abi Bakr bin 'Abdur-Rahman bin Al-Harith bin Hisham told me that Abu Bakr used to narrate that narration to him on the authority of Abu Huraira. He used to add that Abu Bakr used to mention, besides the above cases, "And he who robs (takes illegally something by force) while the people are looking at him, is not a believer at the time he is robbing (taking).
[Al-Bukhari (5578) and Muslim (57)]
THE SHARH OF BULUGH AL MARAAM
Book 4: Zakah, Chapter 3: Voluntary Charity, Page 226
10 March 2013 / 28 Rabi Al Thani 1434
THE VIRTUES OF VOLUNTARY CHARITY
is it still considered the same reward if one gives charity to his family which are kuffar?
- If they are not antagonistic towards Islam you can give them charity.
- Otherwise it is haraam to give in charity to them.
- You give 1/5 away in charity if you got a loan in darul harb and didn’t pay it back.
If you live in Dar ul Harb are capable of earning... but depend on your parents savings because you don’t want to give taxes that end up as bullets for your brothers ...until you finish your education..i.e. for your lodging and boarding and transport are you begging or taking charity from your parents.
- You have to work.
- You shouldn’t live off your parents like a parasite.
I live in the US, I want to know the ruling on keeping a job in US (paying federal tax)
- Everyday people complain about living in the USA.
- Save your money and make hijra to the Gulf countries if you feel this way.
- Don’t stay in their country and plant bombs; make hijra.
- If you get caught don't call names of people who didn’t give you fatwah for this.