بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
SHARH OF BULUGH AL MARAAM
Book 2 Chapters 16 The Istisqa Prayer
(Invoking Allah for Rain During Drought)
FEBRUARY 28 2013 / 17 RABI AL THANI 1434 HIJRI
BY Shaikh Abdullah Al Faisal
Edited By Abu Hafiza
باب صلاة الاستسقاء
The Istisqa' Prayer (invoking Allah for rain during drought)
عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما قال: خرج النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - متواضعا، متبذلا، متخشعا، مترسلا، متضرعا، فصلى ركعتين، كما يصلي في العيد، لم يخطب خطبتكم هذه. رواه الخمسة، وصححه الترمذي، وأبو عوانة، وابن حبان
536. Ibn 'Abbas (RAA) narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) went out (to make the Istisqa' prayer) wearing old clothes, in a humble and submissive manner, walking slowly, invoking Allah (in humility) and prayed two rak'at, as he prayed the 'Id prayer, but he did not give a similar Khutbah (like the one he delivers on the 'Id day).'
[Related by the five Imams At-Tirmidhi, Abu 'Awanah and Ibn Hibban graded it as Sahih]
- The nine happen to be the dominant hadith collection.
- There are many more than the nine of book of hadith.
- What Ibn Abbas (RA) meant when he said the prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) came out humble to pray for rain.
- The scholars who explain say that the kuhtbahs given was too long; it is not the Sunnah to give long khutbahs.
- Some khutbahs are one hour long; people are going to lose their jobs.
- Shaikh gives no longer than 30 min khutbahs.
'Ammar bin Yasir (RA) reported: I heard Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) saying, "Prolonging Salat (prayer) and shortening the Khutbah (religious talk) indicate the religious knowledge of the person. Make your Salat long and your sermon short."
[Sahih Muslim (2/594) No. 869]
- They were using the minbar to insult other Muslims.
- So Ibn Abbas (RA) told them that the prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) didn’t give long khutbahs like theirs.
- Allah (SWT) told us man was created from water.
And it is He Who has created man from water, and has appointed for him kindred by blood, and kindred by marriage. And your Lord is Ever All-Powerful to do what He will.
- When you marry you become a part of the each family.
- Arranged marriages are wonderful and good, and you should abolish forced marriages.
Allah said in Quran surah Al Anbiyah verse 30:
Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, and then We parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?
- It is said this verse indicates the big bang theory; this is the big bang theory.
- Allah is saying that a bang took place and it was He who did it.
- He said it was Him who split them apart.
Allah said in the Quran surah An Nur verse: 45
Allah has created every moving (living) creature from water. Of them there are some that creep on their bellies, some that walk on two legs, and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills. Verily! Allah is Able to do all things.
- The medical side effects of someone who doesn't drink enough water.
- You need water for your survival.
- The (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) humbled himself when he went to pray for water.
- When you are begging something you should always be humble.
- If you are not humble you will not get anything.
- The prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) didn’t wear expensive clothing for the prayer. He wore ragged clothes.
- In Africa the kids have big bellies and they have flies on them.
- There is no water and the animals are already dead.
- It is predicted that the third world war will be over water.
- We are accustomed to having water in our pipes.
- This is not the case in many parts of the world.
- Not every government is able to supply water for their people.
- Some people steal for money and put it in Swiss banks instead of investing in water supply.
- There is always water in Saudi Arabian; they have desalination plants.
- The Arabs are very proud people; they look after their infrastructure.
- The standard of living in some Arab countries is higher standard in Europe.
- We need water to make Ghusul and Wudu.
- We need water for animals and agriculture.
- A litre of water is more expensive than a litre of petrol in some countries.
- Some places have oil fields but no water supply.
Then let man look at his food, That We pour forth water in abundance, And We split the earth in clefts, And We cause therein the grain to grow, And grapes and clover plants (i.e. green fodder for the cattle), And olives and date-palms, And gardens, dense with many trees, And fruits and Abba (herbage, etc.), (To be) a provision and benefit for you and your cattle.
- They have to use expensive methods to extract water desalination etc.
Allah (SWT) said in the Quran Surah Ar Rum verse: 24
And among His Signs is that He shows you the lightning, by way of fear and hope, and He sends down water (rain) from the sky, and therewith revives the earth after its death. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who understand.
- Qurtubi (RA) said when you see the birds flapping their wings they are worshiping (praising) Allah (SWT).
It was narrated from Ibn 'Abbas that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "The Muslims are partners in three things: water, pasture and fire, and their price is unlawful."
[Sunan Ibn Majah (3/528) No. 2472]
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said: We should realize that using a lot of water for wudoo’ or ghusl is included in the words of Allah (interpretation of the meaning): “and waste not by extravagance.
Verily, He likes not Al-Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance)”
[Al-An ‘am 6:141]
Hence the fuqaha’ (may Allah have mercy on them) said: It is makrooh to waste by extravagance even if one is on the bank of a flowing river, so how about if water is drawn by mechanical means?
To sum up: wasting by extravagance when doing wudoo’ and otherwise is a blameworthy action. [End quote from Sharh Riyadh as-Saaliheen]
- Sometimes Allah (SWT) withholds the rain.
It was narrated that 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said:
"The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) turned to us and said: 'O Muhajirin, there are five things with which you will be tested, and I seek refuge with Allah lest you live to see them: Immorality never appears among a people to such an extent that they commit it openly, but plagues and diseases that were never known among the predecessors will spread among them.
They do not cheat in weights and measures but they will be stricken with famine, severe calamity and the oppression of their rulers.
They do not withhold the Zakah of the wealth, but rain will be withheld from the sky, and were it not for the animals, no rain would fall on them.
They do not break the covenant with Allah and His Messenger, but Allah will enable their enemies to overpower them and take some of what is in their hands. Unless their leaders rule according to the Book of Allah and seek all good from that which Allah has revealed, Allah will cause them to fight one another.
[Sunan Ibn Majah (Arabic/English), Vol. 5, pg. 222-223, Hadith #4019]
The Prophet added, "May Allah bestow Mercy on Ishmael's mother! Had she let the Zam-Zam (flow without trying to control it) (or had she not scooped from that water) (to fill her water-skin), Zam-Zam would have been a stream flowing on the surface of the earth.”
[Sahih Bukhari, Vol 4, Book 55, Hadith 583]
- Europe is a welfare state.
- Europe has good rainfall for this, they look after their people.
- The countries that don’t do this have bad rainfall.
THE IMPORTANCE OF WATER TO THE HUMAN BODY
- The brain is 90% water.
- The blood is 83% water.
- The muscle is 75% water.
- The bone is 22% water.
1) Water transports nutrients and oxygen to the cells.
2) Water moisturises the air in the lungs.
3) Water protects our vital organs.
4) Water helps our bodies to absorb nutrients.
5) Water detoxifies the body (It flushes out your system).
6) Water regulates the body temperature and protects from dehydration.
7) Water protects against kidney stones.
8) Water protects against migraine headache.
THE 7 HARMFUL EFFECTS OF LACK OF WATER
3) Tiredness (Water is a source of energy)
4) Muscle cramps.
5) Irregular blood flow.
6) Kidney failure.
7) Dry skin.
Allah (SWT) mention water 60 times in the Quran.
::THE 5 SYMPTOMS OF DEHYDRATION::
1) Dark urine
- The whiter the urine the more healthy you are.
2) Dry skin
- The skin is the largest organ of the body.
- Impotent men need to drink more water.
- Drink water instead of soda.
- Soft drinks give you diabetes.
- Impotent men need to drink more water.
- Water can get rid of hunger.
- Dehydration can cause hunger.
- Don't always eat food when hungry; drink water.
- They give drips in the hospital.
- People survive off of drips in the hospital.
- We all need 8 glasses of water daily.
- Water is a great source of energy.
::THE 6 BENEFITS OF DRINKING WATER::
1) You lose weight.
2) Natural remedy for headache.
3) You look younger and skin looks healthier.
4) Your brain is more alert, you are more focused.
(90% of the brain is water)
5) It helps in digestion and fights constipation.
6) It detoxifies the body and fights cancer.
(It flushes out the system)
وعن عائشة رضي الله عنها قالت: شكا الناس إلى رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - قحوط المطر، فأمر بمنبر، فوضع له في المصلى، ووعد الناس يوما يخرجون فيه، فخرج حين بدا حاجب الشمس، فقعد على المنبر، فكبر وحمد الله، ثم قال: «إنكم شكوتم جدب دياركم، وقد أمركم الله أن تدعوه، ووعدكم أن يستجيب لكم، ثم قال: الحمد لله رب العالمين، الرحمن الرحيم، مالك يوم الدين، لا إله إلا الله يفعل ما يريد، اللهم أنت الله، لا إله إلا أنت، أنت الغني ونحن الفقراء، أنزل علينا الغيث، واجعل ما أنزلت قوة وبلاغا إلى حين»، ثم رفع يديه، فلم يزل حتى رئي بياض إبطيه، ثم حول إلى الناس ظهره، وقلب رداءه، وهو رافع يديه، ثم أقبل على الناس ونزل، وصلى ركعتين، فأنشأ الله سحابة، فرعدت، وبرقت، ثم أمطرت. رواه أبو داود وقال «غريب، وإسناده جيد»
537. A'ishah (RAA) narrated, 'The people complained to the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) about the lack of rain, so he gave orders for a pulpit to be set up for him in the place of prayer. He then appointed a day for the people to gather and he came out on that day when the sun had just appeared.
The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) sat down on the pulpit, said Takbir and praised Allah. Then he said, "You have complained of drought in your areas, but you have been ordered by Allah to supplicate Him and He has promised that He would answer your prayers.'
Then he said: "All praise is for Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful, the Only Owner of the Day of Judgment. There is no god but Allah Who does what He wishes. O Allah, there is no god except You! You are the Self-Sufficient and we are the needy. Send down rain upon us and make it a source of strength for us and satisfaction.' He then raised his hands and kept raising them until the whiteness of his armpits could be seen.
After that he turned his back to the people and turned his cloak around, keeping his hands raised, then he faced the people, descended from the pulpit and prayed two rak'at. Allah, the Almighty then sent a cloud which produced thunder and lightening, and by Allah's permission, it rained."
[Related by Abu Dawud, who said that its chain of narrators is good]
WHEN DO WE PERFORM ISTISQA SALAT (PRAYER)
- The salat for rain is exactly like the Eid salat in the fields.
- Not in the masjid.
- This is the sunnah.
-He then turns toward the Qibla and make dua for rain.
- You turn your clothes inside out.
- Why was this done?
- It is an indication that you are suffering drought and want the weather to change from dryness to
- They same way you have your clothes changed around.
وقصة التحويل في «الصحيح» من: حديث عبد الله بن زيد، وفيه: فتوجه إلى القبلة، يدعو، ثم صلى ركعتين، جهر فيهما بالقراءة
538. The story of turning the garment is mentioned in Sahih Al-Bukhari on the authority of 'Abdullah Ibn Zaid, who said,
'The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) turned towards the Qiblah and started invoking Allah, and then he prayed two rak'at reciting the Qur'an aloud.'
وللدارقطني من مرسل أبي جعفر الباقر: وحول رداءه؛ ليتحول القحط
539. Abu Ja'far al-Baqir (RAA) narrated, 'and he (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) turned his garment for the drought to turn away.'
[Related by Ad-Daraqutni, and it was reported to be Hadith Mursal (that in which the link between the Successor (Tabi'i) and the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), i.e. the companion is missing)]
وعن أنس - رضي الله عنه: أن رجلا دخل المسجد يوم الجمعة، والنبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - قائم يخطب. فقال: يا رسول الله، هلكت الأموال، وانقطعت السبل، فادع الله [عز وجل] يغيثنا، فرفع يديه، ثم قال: «اللهم أغثنا، اللهم أغثنا ... ». فذكر الحديث، وفيه الدعاء بإمساكها متفق عليه
540. Anas (RAA) narrated, 'A man entered the mosque on Friday while the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) was standing delivering the Khutbah. The man said, "O Messenger of Allah, our wealth has been destroyed and we no longer have any transport.
Supplicate Allah for us to have rain. The Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) raised his hands and said, "O Allah, give us rain. O Allah, give us rain. O Allah, give us rain."
Anas said, 'By Allah, at that time there were no clouds in the sky and there was no house or building between the mountain and us. From behind the mountain came a cloud that looked like a shield. By the time it reached the middle of the sky it started to pour with rain.
By Allah we did not see the sun for a week.
On the following Friday, a man entered the mosque from that (same) door while the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) was standing delivering the Khutbah and said, 'Our livestock are dead and the roads are cut off (due to torrential rain). Ask Allah to make it stop.'
The Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) raised his hands and said, "O Allah, around us and not upon us. O Allah, make it upon the hills, small mountains, bottom of the valleys, and plantations" The rain stopped and we walked out in the sunshine.'
وعن أنس: أن عمر - رضي الله عنه - كان إذا قحطوا يستسقي بالعباس بن عبد المطلب. وقال اللهم إنا كنا نستسقي إليك بنبينا فتسقينا، وإنا نتوسل إليك بعم نبينا فاسقنا، فيسقون. رواه البخاري
541. Anas (RAA) narrated, 'Whenever drought threatened them, 'Umar Ibn al-Khattab used to ask Al-'Abbas Ibn 'Abdul Muttalib to invoke Allah for rain. He used to say, 'O Allah! We used to ask our Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) to invoke You for rain, and You would bless us with rain, and now we ask his uncle to invoke You for rain.
O Allah! Bless us with rain.' And so it would rain.
[Related by Al-Bukhari]
- This is called tawussul
- If it were halaal to pray to the prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), Umar (RA) would have done this.
- This shows that it is shirk to pray to the prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) for anything.
- Sufis, Berailvis & Shiites are the pagans.
- They pray to the grave of the prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam).
- Allah (SWT) refused to send the rain to one who went to the grave of the prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) asking.
- Allah (SWT) sent the rain after the man went to Umar (RA) with his predicament and Abbas (RA) prayed for the rain.
- Allah (SWT) has told us the dead can't help us.
If you invoke (or call upon) them, they hear not your call, and if (in case) they were to hear, they could not grant it (your request) to you. And on the Day of Resurrection, they will disown your worshipping them. And none can inform you (O Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) like Him Who is the All Knower (of each and everything)
-This ayat refutes grave worship.
وعن أنس قال: أصابنا - ونحن مع رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - مطر قال: فحسر ثوبه، حتى أصابه من المطر، وقال: «إنه حديث عهد بربه». رواه مسلم
542. Anas (RAA) narrated, 'A shower of rain fell when we were with the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) He lifted up his clothes (uncovering part of his body to the rain), until the rain fell on him. We said, 'Messenger of Allah, why did you do this?' He said, "Because it has just come from Allah, the Exalted."
[Related by Muslim]
وعن عائشة رضي الله عنها؛ أن رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - كان إذا رأى المطر قال: «اللهم صيبا نافعا». أخرجاه
543.'A'ishah (RAA) narrated, 'Whenever the Prophet (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) saw the rain, he used to say, "O Allah! Make it beneficial."
وعن سعد - رضي الله عنه: أن النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - دعا في الاستسقاء: «اللهم جللنا سحابا، كثيفا، قصيفا، دلوقا، ضحوكا، تمطرنا منه رذاذا، قطقطا، سجلا، يا ذا الجلال والإكرام». رواه أبو عوانة في «صحيحه».
544. Sa'd (RAA) narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) would supplicate for Istisqa' saying, "O Allah, let us be covered with thick clouds that have abundant and beneficial rain, that is accompanied by a strong sound of thunder (which is a sign of strong rain), frequently making light rain fall upon us and surrounding us with lightning. O Allah, You are full of Majesty, Bounty and Honour"
[Related by Abu 'Awanah in his Sahih]
وعن أبي هريرة - رضي الله عنه: أن رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - قال: «خرج سليمان عليه السلام يستسقي، فرأى نملة مستلقية على ظهرها رافعة قوائمها إلى السماء تقول: اللهم إنا خلق من خلقك، ليس بنا غنى عن سقياك، فقال: ارجعوا لقد سقيتم بدعوة غيركم». رواه أحمد وصححه الحاكم
545. Abu Huraira (RAA) narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah (Saallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said, "Prophet Sulaiman (AS) went out invoking Allah for rain. He saw an ant lying on its back raising its legs up to the sky saying, 'O Allah! We are creatures amongst Your creatures. We cannot live without your rain.
'Prophet Sulaiman then said, 'Go back, for it has rained in response to the invocation of others (than you).'
[Related by Ahmad]
- Rain can cause hundreds of thousands of homes to be washed away.
- This salah is not a new thing.
- It was done by all the prophets.
- Sulaiman (AS) understood the language of the ants.
- Animals living in your midst are mercy for you.
- They make Dua'a to Allah (SWT).
وعن أنس - رضي الله عنه: أن النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - استسقى فأشار بظهر كفيه إلى السماء. أخرجه مسلم
546. Anas (RAA) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) supplicated Allah for rain and he pointed with the back of his hand to the sky.'
[Related by Muslim]
- Do not under-estimate the importance of water.
- Things need water to survive.
- When you don’t give in charity you can’t expect mercy rain from Allah (SWT).
- Salah istiqah is just like Eid.
- Animals make dua for you.