TAFSEER SURAH HADEED (3):
THE HYPOCRITES WILL HAVE NO LIGHT ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT
BY SHAIKH ABDULLAH AL FAISAL
10 June 2014 - 12 Shaban 1435 Hijri
Notes typed by AT6
Edited and formatted by Abu Hafiza & AT6
- The last time we were here, we stopped at ayah 10.
وَمَا لَكُمْ أَلَّا تُنفِقُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّـهِ وَلِلَّـهِ مِيرَاثُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ ۚ لَا يَسْتَوِي مِنكُم مَّنْ أَنفَقَ مِن قَبْلِ الْفَتْحِ وَقَاتَلَ ۚ أُولَـٰئِكَ أَعْظَمُ دَرَجَةً مِّنَ الَّذِينَ أَنفَقُوا مِن بَعْدُ وَقَاتَلُوا ۚ وَكُلًّا وَعَدَ اللَّـهُ الْحُسْنَىٰ ۚ وَاللَّـهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ ﴿١٠﴾
And what is the matter with you that you spend not in the Cause of Allāh? And to Allāh belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth. Not equal among you are those who spent and fought before the conquering (of Makkah) (with those among you who did so later). Such are higher in degree than those who spent and fought afterwards. But to all, Allāh has promised the best (reward). And Allāh is All-Aware of what you do. (Al-Hadid 57:10)
- The above mentioned ayah is clear evidence that there are two types of sahabas.
- There are those who embraced Islam, spent their wealth and did jihad before the conquest of Makkah. This is the first type.
- The second type of sahabas are those who embraced Islam after Makkah fell.
- Allah (SWT) is saying that the sahabas who embraced Islam before Makkah fell are better than those who embraced Islam after.
- Because before Makkah fell the sahabas suffered persecution, the Muslims were weak and at one time they had to suffer the pangs of hunger
- They suffered embargo and they were forced to eat leaves.
- They were forced to leave Makkah.
- It is human nature that people won't associate with you when you are weak.
- People like to associate themselves with the aggressor.
- This is why the freemasons want to keep the Muslims weak so people don't associate with them.
- People want to associate themselves with power and wealth.
- Why do you think everyone wants an American visa in poor countries?
- People don't like poverty, weakness and disease.
- Before Makkah fell, the Muslims suffered poverty and weakness.
- Ibn Abbas said they were mustad'afeen (the weak and oppressed in the land).
- In spite of the weakness, Abu Bakr (RA) took his shahada and so did Umar (RA), Uthman (RA), Ali (RA), Talha (RA), Zubair (RA), Bilal (RA), Ammar Ibn Yasir (RA), Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas (RA), Abdur Rahman Ibn Awf (RA) and Abu ubaydah ibn al jarrah (RA)
- These were the senior scholars.
- They fought at Badr.
- Allah (SWT) preferred these sahabas because they identified themselves with Islam even thought it was weak.
- They did not wait for Islam to be strong.
- This shows that you are a real Muslim.
- You identified yourself with Muslims even when the Muslims were weak.
- Some people will only embrace Islam when they see wealth and power.
- They want to enjoy the success.
- If you can show them military power, economic power, etc. then they will embrace Islam, otherwise they won't.
- So this is why Allah (SWT) preferred the sahabas who embraced Islam before Makkah was conquered.
Not equal among you are those who spent and fought before the conquering (of Makkah) (with those among you who did so later). Such are higher in degree than those who spent and fought afterwards. But to all, Allāh has promised the best (reward). And Allāh is All-Aware of what you do. (Al-Hadid 57:10)
- Actually, Islam is always strong.
- It is the Muslims who happen to be weak because they are not applying Islam.
- The Muslims are weak now because they are not applying Islam.
مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللَّـهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ وَلَهُ أَجْرٌ كَرِيمٌ ﴿١١﴾
Who is he that will lend to Allāh a goodly loan, then (Allāh) will increase it manifold to his credit (in repaying), and he will have (besides) a good reward (i.e. Paradise). (Al-Hadid 57:11)
- If you give 1 US dollar in charity, Allah (SWT) will give it back to you.
- Even if a kaafir gives, Allah (SWT) will multiply it and they will get it 10 times back or 700.
- If you share your wealth, you will enjoy it.
- If you don't share it, you conscience will bother you and you won't be able to sleep at night.
- Why did Madonna go to
- It is because you have to share your wealth to be able to enjoy it.
- If you are looking at films with African children who are starving and you don't share your wealth, you won't be able to sleep at night.
- Allah (SWT) told you in the Qur'an that man is stingy in Surah 17:100.
Say (to the disbelievers): "If you possessed the treasure of the Mercy of my Lord (wealth, money, provision, etc.), then you would surely hold back (from spending) for fear of (being exhausted), and man is ever miserly!" (Al-Isra 17:100)
- A lot of rich people want to take antidepressant tablets and sleeping tablets because they can't sleep at night.
Ibn ‘Abbâs narrated: I heard the Messenger of Allah (SAW) saying, “If a son of Adam had a valley full of gold, he would desire to have two. Nothing can fill his mouth except the dust (of his grave). Allah turns with mercy to him who turns to Him in repentance.” [Al-Bukhari (6437) and Muslim (1049)]
- They can't sleep because they have the money to save lives yet they don't.
- What are you doing with 90 billion in your bank account?
'Abdullah bin Ash-Shikhkhir (RA) reported: I came to the Prophet (SAW) while he was reciting (Surah At-Takathur 102): (After reciting) he (SAW) said, "The Son of Adam says: 'My wealth, my wealth.' But do you get anything (of benefit) from your wealth except for that which you ate and you finished it, or that which you clothed yourself with and you wore it out, or that which you gave as Sadaqah (charity) (to those who deserve it), and that what you will have in stock for yourself." [Sahih Muslim (4/2273) No. 2958, Sunan Tirmidhi (4/572) No. 2342, Sunan al-Nasa'i (6/238) No. 3613, Musnad Ahmad (4/26) No. 16370]
Who is he that will lend to Allah a goodly loan, then (Allah) will increase it manifold to his credit (in repaying), and he will have (besides) a good reward (i.e.
Paradise). (Al-Hadid 57:11)
According to a Hadith reported by Hadrat `Abdullah bin Mas'ud, when this verse was revealed and the people heard it from the Holy Prophet (upon whom be Allah's peace), Hadrat Abud-Dahdah Ansari asked: "O Messenger of Allah, does Allah want a loan from us?” The Holy Prophet replied: “Yes, O Abud-Dahdah,” He said “Kindly show me your hand.” The Holy Prophet extended his hand towards him. He took his hand in his own hand and said: “I give away my garden in loan to my Lord." Hadrat 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud says that the garden had 600 date-palms and his own house also in which his family lived- Saying this to the Holy Prophet (upon whom be Allah's peace) he went straight back home, and calling out to his wife said: "Come out, O mother of Dahdah, I have loaned this garden to my Lord." She replied: "Dahdah's father, you have made a good bargain!' and she immediately vacated and left the garden with her effects and children." (Ibn Abi Hatim).
- When ayah 11 of Surah Hadeed came down, the Jews said Allah (SWT) is poor and they are rich.
- They said only poor people ask for loans.
- Abu Bakr (RA) was offended and punched the Jew in his face.
- The Jew complained to Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), so the Prophet asked the Jew what he had done.
- The Jew said he did not do anything.
- Abu Bakr (RA) said the Jew said that Allah (SWT) is poor and they are rich.
(Verily Allah heard the saying of those who said…) [3:181]. ‘Ikrimah, al-Suddi and Muqatil ibn Ishaq related that, one day, Abu Bakr al-Siddiq entered a Jewish place of study and found a group of Jewish people gathered around one of them called Finhas ibn ‘Azura, who was one of their doctors. Abu Bakr said to Finhas: “Fear Allah and embrace Islam, for by Allah you know well that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah who has brought the truth to you from Allah. He is mentioned in your Torah; so believe and accept the truth and grant Allah a goodly offering and He will make you enter the Garden and multiply your reward”. Finhas responded: “O Abu Bakr, you claim that our Lord is asking us to lend Him our wealth. Yet, it is only the poor who borrow from the rich. And if what you say is true, it follows that Allah is poor and we are rich, for if He were rich He would not ask us to lend Him our wealth”. Abu Bakr al-Siddiq, may Allah be well pleased with him, became very angry and struck the face of Finhas with a mighty blow. He then said to him: “By Him in whose Hand is my soul, if it were not for the treaty between us, O enemy of Allah, I would have killed you”. Finhas went to the Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, and said: “O Muhammad! Look at what your companion has done to me”. The Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, asked Abu Bakr: “What has driven you to do what you have done?” He said: “O Messenger of Allah, this enemy of Allah has said something very serious. He claimed that Allah is poor and they are rich. I therefore got angry for the sake of Allah and hit his face”. But Finhas denied that he ever uttered those words, and so Allah, exalted is He, revealed this verse (Verily Allah heard the saying of those who said…) to give the lie to Finhas and to confirm that Abu Bakr al-Siddiq said the truth. ‘Abd al-Qahir ibn Tahir informed us> Abu ‘Amr ibn Matar> Ja‘far ibn al-Layth al-Ziyadi>
- Allah (SWT) revealed an ayah exposing what the Jew had said.
Indeed, Allah has heard the statement of those (Jews) who say: "Truly, Allah is poor and we are rich!" We shall record what they have said and their killing of the Prophets unjustly, and We shall say: "Taste you the torment of the burning (Fire)." (Aali Imran 3:181)
Hudhayfah Musa ibn Mas‘ud> Shibl> Ibn Abi Najih> Mujahid who said: “This verse was revealed about the Jews; Abu Bakr, may Allah be well pleased with him, had struck the face of one of their men who said ‘Allah is poor and we are rich’ ”. Shibl commented: “I was informed that this man was Finhas the Jew, and it is also this man who said: (Allah’s hand is fettered) [5:64]”. [Asbab Al-Nuzul by Al-Wahidi , trans. Mokrane Guezzou]
يَوْمَ تَرَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَسْعَىٰ نُورُهُم بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَبِأَيْمَانِهِم بُشْرَاكُمُ الْيَوْمَ جَنَّاتٌ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا ۚ ذَٰلِكَ هُوَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ ﴿١٢﴾
On the Day you shall see the believing men and the believing women their light running forward before them and by their right hands. Glad tidings for you this Day! Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever! Truly, this is the great success! (Al-Hadid 57:12)
- What Allah (SWT) is saying in ayah 12 is that your iman is light on Judgement Day.
- If your iman was strong in the dunya, your light on Judgement day will be very bright.
- If your iman was weak in the dunya, your light will be dim on Judgement day.
- Some people go backwards and forwards with the deen.
- They were not steadfast in the dunya.
- So on the day of Judgement, Allah (SWT) will give you light then snatch it.
- The way you treat Allah (SWT) in the dunya, Allah (SWT) will treat you the same way on Judgement Day.
يَوْمَ يَقُولُ الْمُنَافِقُونَ وَالْمُنَافِقَاتُ لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا انظُرُونَا نَقْتَبِسْ مِن نُّورِكُمْ قِيلَ ارْجِعُوا وَرَاءَكُمْ فَالْتَمِسُوا نُورًا فَضُرِبَ بَيْنَهُم بِسُورٍ لَّهُ بَابٌ بَاطِنُهُ فِيهِ الرَّحْمَةُ وَظَاهِرُهُ مِن قِبَلِهِ الْعَذَابُ ﴿١٣﴾
On the Day when the hypocrites men and women will say to the believers: "Wait for us! Let us get something from your light!" It will be said: "Go back to your rear! Then seek a light!" So a wall will be put up between them, with a gate therein. Inside it will be mercy, and outside it will be torment." (Al-Hadid 57:13)
- The hypocrites don't have any light to walk on Judgement day.
- They'll say to the believers wait for us to get their light.
- So their opportunism is not limited to the dunya, it happens even in the akhira.
- Allah (SWT) will put an end to their opportunism.
- Allah (SWT) will put a wall between the believers and the hypocrites.
- The hypocrites use you in the dunya.
- They use you for money, contacts and sex.
- Allah (SWT) will put an end to their opportunism by erecting a wall between the believers and the hypocrites.
- The purpose of the wall is to cut the hypocrites off from their opportunism.
- Enough is enough; Allah (SWT) will put an end to their opportunism.
Ibn Jarir and Ibn Kathir report Qatadah as narrating a hadith in reference to this ayah, (but which could not be traced in hadith works: Au.). It runs as follows: The Prophet said, “Of the believers there will be some whose Light will shine through from Madinah to Aden or San`a, or less than that; while there will be a believer whose Light will not shine beyond where he can place his foot.” [No takhreej]
Abu Huraira reported: Verily Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: My Cistern has its dimensions wider than the distance between Aila and Aden, and its water is whiter than ice and sweeter than the honey diluted with milk, and its cups are more numerous than the numbers of the stars. Verily I shall prevent the (faithless) people therefrom just as a man prevents the camels of the people from his fountain. They said: Messenger of Allah, will you recognise us on that day? He said: Yes, you will have distinctive marks which nobody among the peoples (except you) will have; you would come to me with blazing forehead and bright hands and feet on account of the traces of ablution. [Sahih Muslim Book: 3, Hadith: 247]
Ibn Mas`ud further elaborated, as in Ibn Abi Hatim. The report is as follows, Ibn Mas`ud said in reference to ‘their Light running before them’: “They will be given their Light in accordance with their deeds, so that they will pass over the Bridge in a manner that there will be some whose Light will be like a mountain, another whose Light will be like a palm tree. The least of them in Light will be one whose Light will be on his toe: it will blink to light up and then go off, light up and go off.” (Qurtubi, Ibn Kathir, Alusi). The report is in Hakim also who declared it trustworthy (Shawkani).
- When Allah (SWT) erects the wall on Judgement day, those inside the wall will have salvation and those outside will be condemned.
يُنَادُونَهُمْ أَلَمْ نَكُن مَّعَكُمْ ۖ قَالُوا بَلَىٰ وَلَـٰكِنَّكُمْ فَتَنتُمْ أَنفُسَكُمْ وَتَرَبَّصْتُمْ وَارْتَبْتُمْ وَغَرَّتْكُمُ الْأَمَانِيُّ حَتَّىٰ جَاءَ أَمْرُ اللَّـهِ وَغَرَّكُم بِاللَّـهِ الْغَرُورُ ﴿١٤﴾
(The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah." (Al-Hadid 57:14)
- The hypocrites said, “We were with you”.
- What they mean by WE WERE WITH YOU is that they lived with the Muslim community.
- They used to pray with the Muslims in the masjid, they went for umrah and they went for hajj.
- They even married Muslim women.
- So they'll ask why they were separated from the believers.
- The believers will say to the hypocrites that they were with the Muslims but they had many weaknesses.
- They couldn't resist the temptations of Iblees.
- They even practised tarabbus.
- What is tarabbus?
- Tarabbus means when there is a war between the Muslims and the infidels, you sit on the fence and if the Muslims win you tell them we are your brothers and if the Kuffar win you say to them that you are their brothers.
- They have not guts.
- In other words, they are going to wait to see who wins and then back the winner.
HOW DOES THE CHIEF DECEIVER DECEIVE PEOPLE?
- This is a million dollar question.
- The chief deceiver is Iblees.
1 - HE MAKES YOU THINK THE TRUTH IS RELATIVE
- So there is no set standard for the truth; it's relative.
2 - HE MAKES YOU THINK MORALITY IS RELATIVE
- There is no set standard for it.
3 - HE GIVES YOU FALSE HOPE WITH IRJA
- Irja means liberalism.
- He makes you think you just need to take your shahada and you will be saved.
- Even if you sleep with your neighbour's wife, don't worry about it.
- This is how the Christians think.
- They say to just accept Jesus (AS) as your saviour and you will be saved.
- It doesn't matter whether you sleep with your neighbour's wife.
- The shaitaan gives them false hope.
4 - WITH SHIRK
- You can't pray to Allah (SWT) directly.
- You need to pray to Abdul Qadir Al Jilani and then he will transmit your dua to Allah (SWT).
5 - WRONG QIYAAS
- Qiyaas means analogy.
- He makes you compare two things and think they are the same like riba and trading.
- This is why the dhaahirya madhab don't believe in qiyaas because people abuse qiyaas.
- Ahmad ibn Hanbal (RA) said most mistakes are made through wrong Qiyaas.
- The dhaahirya madhab takes the apparent meaning.
6 - JUDGEMENT DAY IS A MYTH
- He makes you think there is no resurrection once you die.
7 - BY MAKING YOU THINK IT IS FARD ON ALLAH TO FORGIVE YOU OF ALL YOUR SINS BECAUSE YOU'RE A MUSLIM
8 - HE MAKES YOU THINK MAN SHOULD BE STRIPPED OF ACCOUNTABILITY BECAUSE OF QADR
- That's the jabriyyah ideology.
Allah (SWT) said in the Qur'an surah Al An'am verse 148
Those who took partners (in worship) with Allah will say: "If Allah had willed, we would not have taken partners (in worship) with Him, nor would our fathers, and we would not have forbidden anything (against His Will)." Likewise belied those who were before them, (they argued falsely with Allah's Messengers), till they tasted of Our Wrath. Say: "Have you any knowledge (proof) that you can produce before us? Verily, you follow nothing but guess and you do nothing but lie." (Al-An'am 6:148)
- Quraish blamed Qadr for worshipping idols.
- They say they commit shirk because it is Allah's will.
- They blame Allah (SWT).
- This is how the shaitaan deceives people.
9 - HE MAKES YOU USE MEN TO JUDGE THE TRUTH INSTEAD OF USING TRUTH TO JUDGE MEN
10 - HE MAKES YOU WORSHIP PERSONALITIES INSTEAD OF WORSHIPPING ALLAH
- In Islam we use the truth to judge men; we don't use men to judge the truth.
- Worshipping personalities is very dangerous because then you will fall into the web of wicked scholars.
- The shaitaan wants you to fall into this web so you worship others besides Allah (SWT).
فَالْيَوْمَ لَا يُؤْخَذُ مِنكُمْ فِدْيَةٌ وَلَا مِنَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا ۚ مَأْوَاكُمُ النَّارُ ۖ هِيَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ وَبِئْسَ الْمَصِيرُ ﴿١٥﴾
So this Day no ransom shall be taken from you (hypocrites), nor of those who disbelieved, (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism). Your abode is the Fire, that is the proper place for you, and worst indeed is that destination. (Al-Hadid 57:15)
Allah (SWT) said in the Qur'an surah Ibrahim verse 22
And Shaitan (Satan) will say when the matter has been decided: "Verily, Allah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, so you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me (Satan) as a partner with Allah (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.)." (Ibrahim 14:22)
- It is worthy of mentioning that those who worship the shaitaan, the shaitaan will wash his hands off them on Judgement Day.
So this Day no ransom shall be taken from you (hypocrites), nor of those who disbelieved, (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism). Your abode is the Fire, that is the proper place for you, and worst indeed is that destination. (Al-Hadid 57:15)
- No ransom will be taken from the hypocrites on Judgement Day.
- This is because the only currency Allah (SWT) accepts on Judgement day is your pious deeds.
- The hypocrites have no pious deeds to offer.
Allah (SWT) said in the Qur'an surah Al Ma'idah verse 27
"Verily, Allah accepts only from those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious - see V.2:2)." (Al-Ma'idah 5:27)
أَلَمْ يَأْنِ لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَن تَخْشَعَ قُلُوبُهُمْ لِذِكْرِ اللَّـهِ وَمَا نَزَلَ مِنَ الْحَقِّ وَلَا يَكُونُوا كَالَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ مِن قَبْلُ فَطَالَ عَلَيْهِمُ الْأَمَدُ فَقَسَتْ قُلُوبُهُمْ ۖ وَكَثِيرٌ مِّنْهُمْ فَاسِقُونَ ﴿١٦﴾
Has not the time come for the hearts of those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism) to be affected by Allah's Reminder (this Qur'an), and that which has been revealed of the truth, lest they become as those who received the Scripture [the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] before (i.e. Jews and Christians), and the term was prolonged for them and so their hearts were hardened? And many of them were Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient to Allah). (Al-Hadid 57:16)
Allah (SWT) said in the Qur'an surah Al Anfal verse 2
The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'an) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone); (Al-Anfal 8:2)
- Allah (SWT) is saying that the time has come for the believers to pay attention to the recitation and that they should benefit from it.
- If you don't pay attention, you are going to end up like the Jews and Christians.
- Their hearts are very hard.
- Their hearts are so hard that everything which is haraam, they make it halal.
- Allah (SWT) said the Jews are donkeys carrying books.
- Because the donkey is not aware of the value of what it is carrying on its back.
Allah (SWT) said in the Qur'an surah Al Jumu'ah verse 5
The likeness of those who were entrusted with the (obligation of the) Taurat (Torah) (i.e. to obey its commandments and to practise its legal laws), but who subsequently failed in those (obligations), is as the likeness of a donkey who carries huge burdens of books (but understands nothing from them). How bad is the example (or the likeness) of people who deny the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah. And Allah guides not the people who are Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, disbelievers, etc.). (Al-Jumu'ah 62:5)
- The hearts of the Christians are so hard they have gay churches.
- The hearts of the Christians are so hard; they love Jews who call Jesus a bastard child and Mary a prostitute.
- The Jews have such hard hearts; they make it their career to kill prophets
Allah (SWT) said in the Qur'an surah Al Baqarah verse 74
Then, after that, your hearts were hardened and became as stones or even worse in hardness. And indeed, there are stones out of which rivers gush forth, and indeed, there are of them (stones) which split asunder so that water flows from them, and indeed, there are of them (stones) which fall down for fear of Allah. And Allah is not unaware of what you do. (Al-Baqarah 2:74)
- So if you the Muslims don't pay attention to the Qur'an you are going to end up like the Jews and Christians whose hearts are very hard.
- Allah (SWT) asked you a question in Surah 47:24
Do they not then think deeply in the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)? (Muhammad 47:24)
- A person who doesn't ponder and contemplate on the Qur'an, Allah (SWT) said your heart is sealed.
- The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) was worried about his ummah and he said his ummah has abandoned the Qur'an.
And the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) will say: "O my Lord! Verily, my people deserted this Qur'an (neither listened to it, nor acted on its laws and orders). (Al-Furqan 25:30)
Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (RA), who said that the Prophet (SAW) said: “They will follow the ways of those who came before them, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit, until even if they entered a lizard’s hole they will follow them.” We said: “O Messenger of Allah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said: “Who else?” [Al-Bukhari (3456) and Muslim (2669)]
- This ayah is a warning from Allah (SWT).
- If you don't contemplate on the Qur'an, you are going to end up like the hard-hearted Jews and Christians.
اعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّـهَ يُحْيِي الْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا ۚ قَدْ بَيَّنَّا لَكُمُ الْآيَاتِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ ﴿١٧﴾
Know that Allah gives life to the earth after its death! Indeed We have made clear the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) to you, if you but understand. (Al-Hadid 57:17)
- Why does the earth become dead?
- The earth becomes dead when people refuse to pay zakah.
- Then Allah (SWT) withholds the rain.
It was narrated that 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said: "The Messenger of Allah (SAW) turned to us and said: 'O Muhajirin, there are five things with which you will be tested, and I seek refuge with Allah lest you live to see them: Immorality never appears among a people to such an extent that they commit it openly, but plagues and diseases that were never known among the predecessors will spread among them. They do not cheat in weights and measures but they will be stricken with famine, severe calamity and the oppression of their rulers. They do not withhold the Zakah of the wealth, but rain will be withheld from the sky, and were it not for the animals, no rain would fall on them. They do not break the covenant with Allah and His Messenger, but Allah will enable their enemies to overpower them and take some of what is in their hands. Unless their leaders rule according to the Book of Allah and seek all good from that which Allah has revealed, Allah will cause them to fight one another. [Sunan Ibn Majah (Arabic/English), Vol. 5, pg. 222-223, Hadith #4019]
- If you don't have mercy to the creation by paying zakah, why should the Creator have mercy on you by sending you the rain?
"A people do not keep from giving the zakat on their wealth except that they will be kept from having rain from the sky. If it were not for the animals, it would not rain at all". (Ibn Maajah, according to al-Albaani it is Sahih, see Silsilat al-Hadeeth as-Saheehah, vol.1, Hadith No. 106)
- When the earth becomes dead, plants become dead, animals become dead and humans become dead.
- Allah (SWT) is saying He is the only one who can bring the earth back to life.
- The Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said one of the signs of the last day is that the desert will become green again with grass.
“The Hour will not arrive until a person will have a lot of wealth and when he goes out to give charity, he will not find a single person who can accept it from him. [And the Hour will not arrive] until the land of the Arabs returns to a state of lush vegetation and abundant rivers.” [Reported by Imam Muslim]
- That is because desalination plants were set up to provide people with water.
- But not everyone is as rich as the Saudis, the Kuwaitis, the Qataris, etc. which is why we still have drought.