TAFSIR SURAH ANFAL (4):
ALLAH WILL TEST YOU TO SEE WHO IS REAL
Notes taken by AT19
Qur’an & Hadith posted by abuqasim9
Edited by AT6
وَإِذْ يَمْكُرُ بِكَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لِيُثْبِتُوكَ أَوْ يَقْتُلُوكَ أَوْ يُخْرِجُوكَ ۚ وَيَمْكُرُونَ وَيَمْكُرُ اللَّـهُ ۖ وَاللَّـهُ خَيْرُ الْمَاكِرِينَ ﴿٣٠﴾
And (remember) when the disbelievers plotted against you (O Muhammad SAW) to imprison you, or to kill you, or to get you out (from your home, i.e. Makkah); they were plotting and Allah too was planning, and Allah is the Best of the planners. (Al-Anfal 8:30)
- Surah Anfal was revealed after the battle of Badr to explain Allah's opinion of the Battle of Badr.
- The enemies of the Prophet held a meeting and 11 men attended.
- These 11 men were the greatest enemies of the Prophet.
- They said let's banish him from the land, but they thought he would establish a state.
- Then they said let’s kill him (Abu Jahl).
- They adopted the opinion of Abu Jahl to plant 7 men from 7 different tribes to kill him.
To make the necessary preparations for the implementation of their devilish plan, the chiefs of Makkah had chosen eleven men: Abu Jahl, Hakam bin Abil Al-‘As, ‘Uqbah bin Abi Mu‘ait, An-Nadr bin Harith, Omaiyah bin Khalaf, Zama‘a bin Al-Aswad, Tu‘aima bin ‘Adi, Abu Lahab, Ubai bin Khalaf, Nabih bin Al-Hajjaj and his brother Munbih bin Al-Hajjaj. All were on the alert. As night advanced, they posted assassins around the Prophet’s house. Thus they kept vigil all night long, waiting to kill him the moment he left his house early in the morning, peeping now and then through a hole in the door to make sure that he was still lying in his bed. [Ibn Hisham 1/483]
- The angel Gabriel came to the Prophet (SAWS) telling him not to go to sleep in his bed that night.
And they (disbelievers) plotted [to kill 'Iesa (Jesus)], and Allah planned too. And Allah is the Best of the planners. (Aali Imran 3:54)
- Surah 3:54 is talking about Isa and is similar to Ayah 30 of Surah Anfal.
- I brought you this ayah because it proves that history repeats itself.
- Ayah 30 is talking about when they plotted to kill Muhammad (SAWS).
And so We have appointed for every Prophet enemies - Shayatin (devils) among mankind and jinns, inspiring one another with adorned speech as a delusion (or by way of deception). If your Lord had so willed, they would not have done it, so leave them alone with their fabrications. (Tafseer Qurtubi, Vol.7, Page 67) (Al-An'am 6:112)
- The above ayah (Surah 6:112) has the answer why this is so; every Prophet has an enemy.
وَإِذَا تُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتُنَا قَالُوا قَدْ سَمِعْنَا لَوْ نَشَاءُ لَقُلْنَا مِثْلَ هَـٰذَا ۙ إِنْ هَـٰذَا إِلَّا أَسَاطِيرُ الْأَوَّلِينَ ﴿٣١﴾
And when Our Verses (of the Qur'an) are recited to them, they say: "We have heard this (the Qur'an); if we wish we can say the like of this. This is nothing but the tales of the ancients." (Al-Anfal 8:31)
- Many lessons can be learned from this ayah
LESSON 1: THE KUFFAR DO NOT RESPECT THE HOLY QURAN
LESSON 2: THE KUFFAR ARE COMPULSIVE LIARS
And if you (Arab pagans, Jews, and Christians) are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (i.e. the Qur'an) to Our slave (Muhammad Peace be upon him ), then produce a Surah (chapter) of the like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you are truthful.But if you do it not, and you can never do it, then fear the Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers (Al-Baqarah 2:23-24)
- Allah gave them a challenge in the above ayah; it is to produce a surah like that of Qur’an.
- They failed to meet this challenge.
- This means they lie when they said they could produce a book similar to the Holy Qur’an.
LESSON 3: THE KUFFAAR LIKE TO CLAIM TO HAVE ABILITIES TO DO THINGS WHICH THEY CANNOT DO
- They always overestimate themselves.
- Example: everyone said do not go into Afghanistan, it is a death trap, yet they still went.
- Everyone that went into Afghanistan failed.
- Even the Russians said 1 million times not to go into Afghanistan.
- Another example is a lot of men take on a 2nd wife when they cannot feed the 1st wife.
- The Americans overestimate themselves by going into Afghanistan.
- The word superpower is shirk.
- Only Allah is the superpower.
- For anyone to call themselves a superpower is proof that man overestimates himself.
LESSON 4: MAN DOES NOT GIVE ALLAH THE POWER, GLORY AND RIGHTFUL ESTIMATE
- Man does not give Allah the power that is due to Allah.
- Because for him to claim "I can write a book like the Quran," it proves man doesn't give Allah the rightful estimate that is due to Allah.
- The Jews wrote a book called the Talmud.
- The Jews said what they wrote is better than what Allah revealed to Musa on Mount Sinai.
They (the Jews, Quraish pagans, idolaters, etc.) did not estimate Allah with an estimation due to Him when they said: "Nothing did Allah send down to any human being (by inspiration)." Say (O Muhammad SAW) : "Who then sent down the Book which Musa (Moses) brought, a light and a guidance to mankind which you (the Jews) have made into (separate) papersheets, disclosing (some of it) and concealing (much). And you (believers in Allah and His Messenger Muhammad SAW), were taught (through the Qur'an) that which neither you nor your fathers knew." Say: "Allah (sent it down)." Then leave them to play in their vain discussions. (Tafsir Al-Qurtubi, Vol.7, Page 37). (Al-An'am 6:91)
They have not estimated Allah His Rightful Estimate; Verily, Allah is All-Strong, All-Mighty. (Al-Hajj 22:74)
- The above ayahs show Allah complaining that the kuffaar do not give Him his rightful estimate.
Or like the one who passed by a town and it had tumbled over its roofs. He said: "Oh! How will Allah ever bring it to life after its death?" So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years, then raised him up (again). He said: "How long did you remain (dead)?" He (the man) said: "(Perhaps) I remained (dead) a day or part of a day". He said: "Nay, you have remained (dead) for a hundred years, look at your food and your drink, they show no change; and look at your donkey! And thus We have made of you a sign for the people. Look at the bones, how We bring them together and clothe them with flesh". When this was clearly shown to him, he said, "I know (now) that Allah is Able to do all things." (Al-Baqarah 2:259)
- Why did Allah cause this man to die for 100 years?
- It is because this man did not give Allah His rightful estimate.
LESSON 5: KUFFAAR ALWAYS TALK BIG AND THEY CANNOT BACKUP THEIR SPEACH WITH ACTIONS
- They said, “When we invade Iraq, the people will come out on the street and greet us as liberators.”
- 4 to 5 thousand Americans lost their lives, and 30 thousand Americans lost their limbs.
- Anytime a person talks big, stay away from him; he is a con artist.
- Whenever a person speaks like he is a millionaire and doesn't have $1000 in the bank, he is a con artist
LESSON 6: KUFFAAR HAVE A GOD COMPLEX
- For you to say I can produce a book like the Quran, it means you have a god complex.
- One of the closest friends of Tony Blair said he has a messiah complex.
- That's not true; he has a god complex.
- One million people marched against the war in Iraq, and Tony Blair still sent the troops in.
- Blair was interviewed about a week ago and he still refuses to say he was wrong.
- Clinton got caught with his trousers down and was impeached. Nobody died.
- Blair was not impeached even though millions of Iraqis and 179 British soldiers died.
- We seek refuge in Allah from people like them.
- 179 British soldiers died in Iraq because of the lie of Tony Blair.
- It's very dangerous for people like Tony Blair not to be impeached.
- Sociologists would say men who cheat on their wives are better than men who don't cheat on their wives.
- These sociologists would say the reason they would cheat on their wives is because they have a lot of love to give
- I am sure some kuffar sociologists have written this in their books.
وَإِذْ قَالُوا اللَّـهُمَّ إِن كَانَ هَـٰذَا هُوَ الْحَقَّ مِنْ عِندِكَ فَأَمْطِرْ عَلَيْنَا حِجَارَةً مِّنَ السَّمَاءِ أَوِ ائْتِنَا بِعَذَابٍ أَلِيمٍ ﴿٣٢﴾
And (remember) when they said: "O Allah! If this (the Qur'an) is indeed the truth (revealed) from You, then rain down stones on us from the sky or bring on us a painful torment." (Al-Anfal 8:32)
- An-Nadr bin Harith was one of the greatest enemies of the Prophet (SAWS).
- He would say his stories of Persia were better than the stories that the Prophet tells from the Qur’an.
- An-Nadr bin Harith was captured in the battle of Badr and the Prophet (SAWS) ordered his death.
And they say: "Tales of the ancients, which he has written down, and they are dictated to him morning and afternoon."Say: "It (this Qur'an) has been sent down by Him (Allah) (the Real Lord of the heavens and earth) Who knows the secret of the heavens and the earth. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Al-Furqan 25:5-6)
- They claimed that the Prophet (SAWS) told stories of old.
And (remember) when they said: "O Allah! If this (the Qur'an) is indeed the truth (revealed) from You, then rain down stones on us from the sky or bring on us a painful torment." (Al-Anfal 8:32)
وَمَا كَانَ اللَّـهُ لِيُعَذِّبَهُمْ وَأَنتَ فِيهِمْ ۚ وَمَا كَانَ اللَّـهُ مُعَذِّبَهُمْ وَهُمْ يَسْتَغْفِرُونَ ﴿٣٣﴾
And Allah would not punish them while you (Muhammad SAW) are amongst them, nor will He punish them while they seek (Allah's) Forgiveness. (Al-Anfal 8:33)
- The scholars of tafsir said this dua (8:32) was made by Abu Jahl.
- Allah answered him with Surah Anfal verse 33.
LESSON 1: KUFFAAR MAKE DUA
LESSON 2: THE KUFFAAR OF MECCA BELIEVED IN ALLAH
- Their problem was that they associated partners with Allah.
And if you (O Muhammad SAW) ask them: "Who has created the heavens and the earth," they will certainly say: "Allah." Say: "All the praises and thanks be to Allah!" But most of them know not. (Luqman 31:25)
- Because the Kuffaar of Mecca believed in Allah, Allah revealed the above ayah.
- Even before the battle of Badr started, Abu Jahl made a dua
LESSON 3: ALLAH DID NOT VISIT THE PAGANS OF MECCA WITH A NATURAL DISASTER OUT OF RESPECT FOR MUHAMMAD (SAWS)
- Why did Allah choose not to punish the pagans of Mecca as long as Muhammad was with them?
- Because Muhammad (SAWS) was sent as a mercy for mankind.
And We have sent you (O Muhammad SAW) not but as a mercy for the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). (Al-Anbiya 21:107)
- Muhammad (SAWS) was used as a shield, to shield the people from a natural disaster.
And they ask you to hasten on the torment (for them), and had it not been for a term appointed, the torment would certainly have come to them. And surely, it will come upon them suddenly while they perceive not! (Al-'Ankabut 29:53)
- The torment that they asked for came in the form of the battle of Badr.
- Allah used the blessed hands of the Muslims to punish the kuffaar.
Fight against them so that Allah will punish them by your hands and disgrace them and give you victory over them and heal the breasts of a believing people, (At-Tawbah 9:14)
"So cause a piece of the heaven to fall on us, if you are of the truthful!" (Ash-Shu'ara 26:187)
- In the above mentioned ayah, the people of shuaib ask the exact same thing
- Their hearts are alike
Allah sent down to me two safe shelters for the benefit of my Ummah. And Allah will not punish them while you are among them nor will He punish them while they seek forgiveness. When I die I will leave the forgiveness with them till the Day of Resurrection (Tirmidhi)
“Shaytân (Satan) said, ‘By Your Might, O Lord! I will go on luring Your servants as long as their souls are still in their bodies.’ The Lord said, ‘By My Might and Majesty! I will keep forgiving them, as long as they keep invoking Me for forgiveness.’” [Musnad Ahmad 3: 29]
Say: "O 'Ibadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Az-Zumar 39:53)
- You are not allowed to give up on the hope of Allah, regardless of how sinful you are.
- Allah forgives all sins, even shirk as long as you make tawbah before you die.
وَمَا لَهُمْ أَلَّا يُعَذِّبَهُمُ اللَّـهُ وَهُمْ يَصُدُّونَ عَنِ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَمَا كَانُوا أَوْلِيَاءَهُ ۚ إِنْ أَوْلِيَاؤُهُ إِلَّا الْمُتَّقُونَ وَلَـٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ ﴿٣٤﴾
And why should not Allah punish them while they stop (men) from Al-Masjid-al-Haram, and they are not its guardians? None can be its guardian except Al-Muttaqun (the pious - see V.2:2), but most of them know not. (Al-Anfal 8:34)
- Even though they deserved to be punished, Allah did not punish them because Muhammad (SAWS) was living amongst them.
LESSON: AT TIMES A PEOPLE DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED, BUT ALLAH FORGOES THE PUNISHMENT BECAUSE OF PIOUS PEOPLE LIVING AMONGST THEM
- These pious people enjoined the right and forbade the wrong.
- Did you know that sometimes a people deserve to be punished, but Allah does not punish them?
- Why? Because animals live among them.
It was narrated that 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said: "The Messenger of Allah (SAW) turned to us and said: 'O Muhajirin, there are five things with which you will be tested, and I seek refuge with Allah lest you live to see them: Immorality never appears among a people to such an extent that they commit it openly, but plagues and diseases that were never known among the predecessors will spread among them. They do not cheat in weights and measures but they will be stricken with famine, severe calamity and the oppression of their rulers. They do not withhold the Zakah of the wealth, but rain will be withheld from the sky, and were it not for the animals, no rain would fall on them. They do not break the covenant with Allah and His Messenger, but Allah will enable their enemies to overpower them and take some of what is in their hands. Unless their leaders rule according to the Book of Allah and seek all good from that which Allah has revealed, Allah will cause them to fight one another. [Sunan Ibn Majah (Arabic/English), Vol. 5, pg. 222-223, Hadith #4019]
- Another reason, Allah did not punish the pagans with natural disaster was because some Muslims were living amongst them.
It is not for the Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah), to maintain the Mosques of Allah (i.e. to pray and worship Allah therein, to look after their cleanliness and their building, etc.), while they witness against their ownselves of disbelief. The works of such are in vain and in Fire shall they abide. (At-Tawbah 9:17)
- The above ayah is similar to ayah 34 of Surah Anfal.
The Mosques of Allah shall be maintained only by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day; perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat and fear none but Allah. It is they who are expected to be on true guidance. (At-Tawbah 9:18)
- The above ayahs tells you that the mosque cannot be maintained by idolaters, pagans, kuffaar, etc.
- The mosques can only be maintained by believers.
They are the ones who disbelieved (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism), and hindered you from AlMasjidalHaram (the sacred mosque of Makkah) and the sacrificial animals, detained from reaching their place of sacrifice. Had there not been believing men and believing women whom you did not know, that you may kill them, and on whose account a sin would have been committed by you without (your) knowledge, that Allah might bring into His Mercy whom He will, if they (the believers and the disbelievers) should have been apart, We verily had punished those of them who disbelieved, with painful torment. (Al-Fath 48:25)
- The Muslims that were still living in Mecca, did not have the means to move to Medina.
- The Prophet (saws) did not know Muslims were still living there.
- This is why Allah did not send a punishment to Mecca at that time.
- The Muslims that were still there were called the "closet Muslims" because no one knew they were there.
- If there were no Muslims in Mecca, Allah would have sent down a painful torment.
وَمَا كَانَ صَلَاتُهُمْ عِندَ الْبَيْتِ إِلَّا مُكَاءً وَتَصْدِيَةً ۚ فَذُوقُوا الْعَذَابَ بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَكْفُرُونَ ﴿٣٥﴾
Their Salat (prayer) at the House (of Allah, i.e. the Ka'bah at Makkah) was nothing but whistling and clapping of hands. Therefore taste the punishment because you used to disbelieve. (Al-Anfal 8:35)
- Allah is describing the ibada of the kuffaar.
- Their concept of ibada is repellent and repugnant.
- Because they whistle and clap in the house of Allah, and they make tawaaf naked.
- Today in the church, Christians make sajda to statues.
- They drink alcohol and call it the blood of Jesus.
- They eat bread and say the bread is the flesh of Jesus.
- This is called symbolic cannibalism.
- Some of you are asking, “Are we allowed to clap and whistle?”
- If you like what you hear you say takbir - Allahu Akbar.
- We do not clap and whistle; it is not our culture.
- Clapping and whistling is makru, it is called imitating the kuffaar.
- Leave the clapping to women - women clap when they hear a mistake to tell the imam he has made a mistake
Saying Subhanallah and clapping: It is allowed for men to say subhanallah and for women to clap if there is some need to do so (such as alerting the imam to a mistake or informing someone that he or she may enter the room or to warn a blind person, and so on). Sahl ibn Sa'd as Sa'di relates that the Prophet said: "If someone is faced with something during the salah, he should say 'subhanallah.' Clapping is for the women and saying subhanallah is for the men." (This is related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, and an-Nasa'i) [Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Vol 2, Book 30, 2.086]
- The men say subhanAllah and the women clap.
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُمْ لِيَصُدُّوا عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّـهِ ۚ فَسَيُنفِقُونَهَا ثُمَّ تَكُونُ عَلَيْهِمْ حَسْرَةً ثُمَّ يُغْلَبُونَ ۗ وَالَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا إِلَىٰ جَهَنَّمَ يُحْشَرُونَ ﴿٣٦﴾
Verily, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and so will they continue to spend it; but in the end it will become an anguish for them. Then they will be overcomed. And those who disbelieve will be gathered unto Hell. (Al-Anfal 8:36)
- This is one of the predictions in the Holy Quran.
- Their spending will become a source of anguish for them because the kuffaar will spend their wealth to fight Islam to no avail.
They intend to put out the Light of Allah (i.e. the religion of Islam, this Qur'an, and Prophet Muhammad SAW) with their mouths. But Allah will complete His Light even though the disbelievers hate (it). (As-Saff 61:8)
He it is Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad SAW) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islamic Monotheism) to make it victorious over all (other) religions even though the Mushrikun (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah and in His Messenger Muhammed SAW) hate (it). (As-Saff 61:9)
- Allah promised a brilliant future in the above ayah and Allah does not break His promise.
- America spent a trillion dollars in Iraq to spread their democracy only for ISIS to take over Iraq.
- You and I have lived to see the prediction of the Quran come to pass in front of our very eyes.
- Democracy means the demons have gone crazy.
- The kuffar are crying their eyes out about spending a trillion dollars in Iraq only for ISIS to take over.
- There are many predictions in the Qur’an and Hadith that the sahabas did not live to see.
- But because you are living in the last days you are fortunate enough to see it.
- You are called the fortunate generation.
لِيَمِيزَ اللَّـهُ الْخَبِيثَ مِنَ الطَّيِّبِ وَيَجْعَلَ الْخَبِيثَ بَعْضَهُ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ فَيَرْكُمَهُ جَمِيعًا فَيَجْعَلَهُ فِي جَهَنَّمَ ۚ أُولَـٰئِكَ هُمُ الْخَاسِرُونَ ﴿٣٧﴾
In order that Allah may distinguish the wicked (disbelievers, polytheists and doers of evil deeds) from the good (believers of Islamic Monotheism and doers of righteous deeds), and put the wicked (disbelievers, polytheists and doers of evil deeds) one on another, heap them together and cast them into Hell. Those! it is they who are the losers. (Al-Anfal 8:37)
- Allah said he will distinguish the wicked from the good in the above ayah.
- Khabeeth means the wicked person or evil person.
- The Sunnah of Allah is to use scenarios and events to separate the wicked from the good.
- Allah uses tests to test you to separate the good from the bad.
If a wound (and killing) has touched you, be sure a similar wound (and killing) has touched the others. And so are the days (good and not so good), We give to men by turns, that Allah may test those who believe, and that He may take martyrs from among you. And Allah likes not the Zalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers). (Aali Imran 3:140)
- Some of you are so evil that the only hope you have to go to paradise is to die on the battlefield.
- You smoke weed, drink alcohol, cheat on your wife, etc.
Alif Lam Mim. [These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings.] (Al-'Ankabut 29:1) Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested. (Al-'Ankabut 29:2) And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allah knows all that before putting them to test) (Al-'Ankabut 29:3)
- Another prophecy you see that the sahabas did not see is the black flags
On the authority of Thawban that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “Three people will fight over your treasure. All three will be sons of Khulafa (kings). This will not come into the hands of any of them. Then black flags will appear in the east. They will fight with you in a way that nobody has fought with you before.” Then the Prophet (SAW) said something. Then he said: “When you see them then give the pledge of allegiance to them even if you have to crawl over snow to reach them. Because he will be Allah’s Khalifa Mahdi.” [Sunan Ibn Majah (5/211) No. 4084, Mustadrak al-Haakim (4/510) No. 8432, Musnad al-Bazzar (10/100) No. 4163, Dala'il al-Nubuwwah al-Bayhaqi (6/515), Tarikh Dimashiq Ibn Asakir (32/281) No. 6678, Haakim and adh-Dhahabi graded this hadith Sahih on the conditions of Bukhari and Muslim]