The Virtues of Dhikr
By Shaikh Abdullah Faisal
7th July 2014 / 10 Ramadan 1435
Notes typed by AT19
Edited by AT6
1) DHIKR IS THE PRACTICE OF THE PIOUS AND SINCERE BELIEVERS
Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, there are indeed signs for men of understanding. (Aali Imran 3:190) Those who remember Allāh (always, and in prayers) standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth, (saying): "Our Lord! You have not created (all) this without purpose, glory to You! (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners). Give us salvation from the torment of the Fire. (Aali Imran 3:191)
- To do dhikr is the practice of those who are sincere and pious
- Allah did not create anything for no reason
- What about the mosquito? Some ask this question.
- Mosquito is a source of food for many animals
- Everything in the creation and on earth is for a purpose
2) DHIKR SAVES YOU FROM NIFAQ
The hypocrites, men and women, are from one another, they enjoin (on the people) Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief and polytheism of all kinds and all that Islām has forbidden), and forbid (people) from Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islāmic Monotheism and all that Islām orders one to do), and they close their hands [from giving (spending in Allāh's Cause) alms, etc.]. They have forgotten Allāh, so He has forgotten them. Verily, the hypocrites are the Fāsiqûn (rebellious, disobedient to Allāh). (At-Tawbah 9:67)
- One of the characteristics of a hypocrite is that he cannot remember Allah.
- Hypocrites are adverse to tawheed.
- They enjoin evil and forbid good.
-They cannot give
- Your freedom from hypocrisy is to remember Allah
3. WITH DHIKR, YOUR HEART FINDS TRANQUILITY
Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh - Islāmic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allāh, Verily, in the remembrance of Allāh do hearts find rest. (Ra'd 13:28)
- When the Prophet (saws) was sitting with his companions, he explained to them what richness is.
Abu Hurairah narrated that the messenger said: “Richness is not abundance of property and possessions but richness is self-contentment.” [Sahih Bukhari, Book 81 of Ar-Riqaq (Softening the hearts) Chapter 15 Hadith #6446) (Summarized Sahih Muslim 10 Chapter 53 Hadiith 563]
- The rich man is the man with self-contentment according to the above hadith.
- The prophet (saws) said one of the signs of the last days is that people will die suddenly (heart attacks)
Anas bin Malik (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said: “Among the signs that the Last Hour is near, is that the crescent would appear larger than its actual size and people would say: ‘It appears as if it is only two days old.’ and the masajid will be taken as streets, and sudden death will spread.” [Al-Mu'jam al-Awsat al-Tabarani (9/147) No. 9376]
- Because of anxiety, people don't have tranquillity in their hearts.
The Holy Messenger(saw)said: “Let the slave of Dinar and the Dirham, of Qatifah and Khamisa (i.e. money and luxurious clothes) perish (in his misery) because he is pleased if these things are given to him and if not he becomes miserable and frustrated”. [Sahih Bukhari (Arabic/English) Vol.4 pg.88 No.137]
- They worship designer clothing according to the above hadith.
- This also proves designer clothing existed in the time of the Prophet (saws).
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying: The Last Hour would not come until a person would pass by a grave of another person and he would say: I wish it had been my abode [Bukhari Book 41, Hadith 6947]
4. DHIKR SAVES YOU FROM MENTAL DEPRESSION
- Not only does it give you sakina, it saves you from mental health problems
"But whosoever turns away from My Reminder (i.e. neither believes in this Qur'ān nor acts on its orders, etc.) verily, for him is a life of hardship, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Resurrection." (Ta-Ha 20:124) He will say:"O my Lord! Why have you raised me up blind, while I had sight (before)." (Ta-Ha 20:125) (Allāh) will say: "Like this, Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) came unto you, but you disregarded them (i.e. you left them, did not think deeply in them, and you turned away from them), and so this Day, you will be neglected (in the Hell-fire, away from Allāh's Mercy)." (Ta-Ha 20:126)
- These people who do not do dhikr suffer from hearing voices
- Some are on Prozac - anti depressant tablets
- They have mental health issues because they do not do dhikr
- Allah will make sure these people live a miserable life
5. THE SHAITAN BECOMES YOUR COMPANION IF YOU DO NOT DO DHIKR
And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allāh) (i.e. this Qur'ān and worship of Allāh), We appoint for him Shaitān (Satan - devil) to be a Qarīn (an intimate companion) to him. (Az-Zukhruf 43:36)
- When you have such a companion, if he likes alcohol, you will drink alcohol.
- If your jinn is gay, you will be gay
- Anything your jinn does, you will do
- If you do not want to have your jinn as your companion, you need to do dhikr
- When you do not make dhikr, you start to hear voices
- The voices of your Qareen.
- When you go to a psychologist, he tells you, “You have schizophrenia.”
- This means you start to hear voices
- The psychologist will tell you, you have a chemical imbalance in the brain - this is crap
- The answer for why you have these whisperings is in the Qur’an.
"From the evil of the whisperer (devil who whispers evil in the hearts of men) who withdraws (from his whispering in one's heart after one remembers Allāh), (An-Nas 114:4) "Who whispers in the breasts of mankind, (An-Nas 114:5) "Of jinns and men." (An-Nas 114:6)
- The shaitan can tell when you are doing dhikr
- He knows who is forgetting Allah
- If he finds you are not remembering Allah, he starts to whisper
- He won’t waste his time with the one who remembers Allah
- To consider experimenting with drugs, alcohol etc. is listening to the whispering of the shaitan.
- If you don't remember Allah, Allah appoints for you a shaitan to become your intimate companion.
- People who are practising Muslims, don't hear the voice of the shaitan.
- Whenever shaitan sees you walking down the road, he takes the opposite side of the road.
- This happened to Omar and he was not a prophet
Allah's Messenger (SAW) said: By Him in Whose Hand is my life, if Satan would encounter you (Umar) way he would certainly take a different way from that of yours. [Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Hadith 5899]
- Kuffar psychologists are not prepared for a spiritual diagnosis because they are not spiritual.
6. THE ONE WHO REMEMBERS ALLAH IS ALIVE ; THE THE ONE WHO FORGETS ALLAH IS SPIRITUALLY DEAD
Nor are (alike) the living (believers) and the dead (disbelievers). Verily, Allāh makes whom He will hear, but you cannot make hear those who are in graves. (Fatir 35:22) You (O Muhammad SAW) are only a warner (i.e. your duty is to convey Allāh's Message to mankind but the guidance is in Allāh's Hand). (Fatir 35:23)
- Allah describes the believers as alive and Allah describes the kuffar as dead in the above mentioned ayah.
- This death Allah speaks of is spiritual death.
7. DHIKR MAKES ALLAH REMEMBER YOU
On the authority of Abu Harayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (PBUH) said: Allah the Almighty said: I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed. (1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty. [It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah)]
- This is the other merit of dhikr in the above hadith.
They have forgotten Allāh, so He has forgotten them. Verily, the hypocrites are the Fāsiqûn (rebellious, disobedient to Allāh). (At-Tawbah 9:67)
- If you remember Allah He will remember you, if you forget Allah He will forget you.
- Forget means to ignore someone and neglect someone.
8. DHIKR IS HEAVY ON THE SCALES ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT
Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “Two words which are light on the tongue but which are dear to the Most Merciful and will weigh heavily in the balance: سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَبِحَمْدِهِ، سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ العَظِيمِ Subhan Allah wa bi hamdih, subhan Allah il-‘Azeem (Glory and praise be to Allah; Glory be to Allah the Almighty).” [al-Bukhari (6682) and Muslim (2694)]
- These are the words that are loved by Allah in the above hadith
9. DHIKR IS USED IN THE DUNYA TO PLANT TREES FOR YOURSELF IN PARADISE
- Everytime you make dhikr, you are planting trees in paradise
Reported by Ibn Mas’ud (RA): The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, “I met Ibrahim (AS) on the Night of Ascension, and he said to me: O Muhammad, convey my greetings to your Ummah, and tell them that Jannah has a vast plain of pure soil and sweet water. It is a plain-levelled land. The plants grow there by uttering ‘Subhan-Allah, Al-hamdu lillah, La ilaha illallah and Allahu Akbar (Allah is free from imperfection; praise be to Allah; there is no true god except Allah; and Allah is the Greatest).” [Tirmidhi]
10. DHIKR ATTRACTS THE ANGELS TO YOUR GATHERING
Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira reported that the Prophet, peace by upon him, said, "When any group of men remember Allah, angels surround them and mercy covers them, tranquility descends upon them, and Allah mentions them to those who are with Him." [Narrated by Muslim, Tirmidhi, Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and Bayhaqi]
Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "Allah, the Exalted, has teams of angels who go about on the roads seeking those who remember Allah. When they find some people remembering Allah they call to one another and say, 'Come to what you are looking for;' and they surround them with their wings till the space between them and the lowest sky is fully covered. Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, asks them (although He is best informed about every thing): 'What are my slave saying?' They say: 'They are glorifying Your Tasbih, Tahmid, Takbir, Tamjid, (i.e., they were declaring Your Perfectness, praising, remembering the Greatness and Majesty of Allah).' He asks: 'Have they seen Me?' They reply, 'No, indeed, they have not seen You.' He asks: 'How would they act if they were to see Me?Thereupon they reply: 'If they were to see You, they would engage more earnestly in worshipping and glorifying You and would extol You more.' He would say: 'What do they beg of Me?' They say, 'They beg You for Your Jannah.' Allah says, 'Have they seen My Jannah?' They say, 'No, our Rubb.' He says: 'How would they act if they were to see My Jannah?' They reply, 'Were they to see it, they would more intensely eager for it.' They (the angels) say, 'They seek Your Protection.' He asks, 'Against what do they seek My Protection?' They (the angels) say, 'Our Rubb, from the fire of Hell.' (He, the Rubb) says, 'Have they seen the fire of Hell?'They say, 'No. By Your Honour, they have not seen it.' He says: 'How would they act if they were to see My Fire?' They say: 'If they were to see it, they would more earnest in being away from it and fearing it. They beg of Your forgiveness.' He says: 'I call you to witness that I hereby grant pardon to them and confer upon them what they ask for; and grant them protection against what they seek protection from.' One of the angels says: 'Our Rubb, there is amongst them such and such slave who does not belong to the assembly of those who are participating in Your remembrance. He passed by them and sat down with them.' He says: 'I also grant him pardon because they are the people by virtue of whom their associates will not be unfortunate'." [al-Bukhari (6408) and Muslim (2689)]
11. DHIKR MAKES YOU REMEMBER YOUR OWN SOUL
- When you forget Allah, you forget your own soul.
And be not like those who forgot Allāh (i.e. became disobedient to Allāh) and He caused them to forget their ownselves, (let them to forget to do righteous deeds). Those are the Fāsiqûn (rebellious, disobedient to Allāh). (Al-Hashr 59:19)
- Allah is talking about people who forget they are Muslim
- They forget themselves.
12. DHIKR CAUSES ALLAH TO BE WITH YOU
On the authority of Abu Abbas Abdullah bin Abbas (RA) who said: One day I was behind the Prophet (SAW)[riding on the same mount] and he said, "O young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice]: Be mindful of Allah and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, then ask Allah [alone]; and if you seek help, then seek help from Allah [alone]. And know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, they would not benefit you except with what Allah had already prescribed for you. And if they were to gather together to harm you with anything, they would not harm you except with what Allah had already prescribed against you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried." [It was related by at-Tirmidhi, who said it was a good and sound hadith]
- Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you
- When the prophet (saws) was in the cave with Abu Bakr, the prophet (saws) said not to be afraid because Allah is with us
- Because they did dhikr
when they (Muhammad SAW and Abu Bakr) were in the cave, and he (SAW) said to his companion (Abu Bakr): "Be not sad (or afraid), surely Allāh is with us."(At-Tawbah 9:40)
- The Prophet (SAWS) knew Allah would be with them because he did dhikr.
- Don't forget Allah is closer to you than your jugular vein.
And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge). (Qaf 50:16)
- Allah means by this with His knowledge and protection.
- Do not take this literally
13. DHIKR IS A FORM OF TAWBAH
Had he not been of them who glorify Allāh, (As-Saffat 37:143) He would have indeed remained inside its belly (the fish) till the Day of Resurrection. (As-Saffat 37:144)
- Allah said if Yunus (AS) did not make that dhikr, He would have made him remain in the belly of the whale until the day of judgement.
- This proves that dhikr is a form of tawbah.
- Even Adam had to do dhikr.
14. DHIKR IS THE IBADA OF JANNAH
The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said about the people of Jannah, “They will be inspired with tasbeeh (saying “subhanAllah”) and takbeer (saying “Allahu Akbar”) as they are inspired with breathing.” (Muslim)
Ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullah stated that this tasbeeh and takbeer will be one of the pleasures enjoyed by the people of Paradise. He said, “This is not the kind of obligatory work that is done for the sake of a specific reward. It is the same as the kind of deeds that people do for pleasure and enjoyment.” [Majmoo’ al-Fataawa]