TAFSEER SURAH AR-RUM (Part 3)
ALLAH (SWT) IS THE ORIGINATOR OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH
by Shaikh Abdullah Faisal
19th August 2014 / 24th Shawwal 1435 AH (Evening)
NOTES typed LIVE by AT8
Edited and Formatted by AT5
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ
يَعْلَمُونَ ظَاهِرًا مِنَ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَهُمْ عَنِ الْآخِرَةِ هُمْ غَافِلُونَ
They know only the outside appearance of the life of the world (i.e. the matters of their livelihood, like irrigating or sowing or reaping, etc.), and they are heedless of the Hereafter. (Ar-Rum 30:7)
- ALLAH (SWT) is reminding us that the knowledge that HE has bestowed upon man is only a little.
- Yet man had the audacity to brag and boast and pretend like he knows everything
And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little." (Al-Isra 17:85)
- All the different disciplines on Earth are only known to man in a superficial way
- Our knowledge is limited to the surface of all things, whereas ALLAH (SWT) has knowledge of everything: seen and unseen, apparent and hidden
- Man is unjust to himself and develops a GOD COMPLEX only because he thinks he knows so much.
- This is why mankind denies the HEREAFTER and pretends to be self-sufficient
- ALLAH had made a cure for every disease on Earth
Narrated by Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "There is no disease that Allah has created, except that He also has created its treatment." [Sahih Bukhari (7/122) No. 5678]
- However, we are unable to find the cure for so many diseases that are prevalent on Earth today E.g., diabetes, AIDS, Herpes and Cancer etc.
WHY IS MANKIND HEEDLESS OF THE HEREAFTER?
- Many men choose not to believe in the hereafter because if they did, it would cause them a great amount of discomfort
- This is because Mankind experiments with every HARAM under the heavens.
- If there is a Day on which Man has to stand in front of his Maker and be accountable for each and every action he committed, it would cause him a great deal of stress
They say: "Shall we indeed be returned to (our) former state of life? (10) "Even after we are crumbled bones?" (11) They say: "It would in that case, be a return with loss!" (An-Nazi'at 79:10-12)
- So he takes the easy way out; by denying the HEREAFTER in order to escape the reality of being accountable for his Evil desires.
- Man cannot get over the fact that if there is a DAY OF RESURRECTION, that day will be of a great loss and we shall RETURN as SURE LOSERS
أَوَلَمْ يَتَفَكَّرُوا فِي أَنْفُسِهِمْ مَا خَلَقَ اللَّهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا إِلَّا بِالْحَقِّ وَأَجَلٍ مُسَمًّى وَإِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِنَ النَّاسِ بِلِقَاءِ رَبِّهِمْ لَكَافِرُونَ
Do they not think deeply (in their ownselves) about themselves (how Allah created them from nothing, and similarly He will resurrect them)? Allah has created not the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, except with truth and for an appointed term. And indeed many of mankind deny the Meeting with their Lord. [See Tafsir AtTabari, Part 21, Page 24]. (Ar-Rum 30:8)
- Some people are heedless about the meeting with their LORD and those are the SINNERS
- Whereas some people DENY the meeting with their LORD and those are the ATHEISTS
THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE WITH REGARDS TO HAVING FAITH IN THE LAST DAY:
1. Those who are mindful of their LORD, they believe in the DAY OF JUDGMENT and they believe in being accountable
2. Those who are heedless of the LAST DAY and being accountable to their LORD
3. Those who reject the meeting with their LORD
- In the above AYAH of SURAH RUM, Allah (SWT) is speaking about the group who reject and deny the meeting with their LORD
- The people who reject the meeting with their LORD are extremely sinful and EVIL personified.
- They are human devils because they do not believe in ACCOUNTIBILITY
- Those who are mindful about their meeting with their LORD are very PIOUS
- These are the sincere believers because they have full faith in ACCOUNTIBILITY
أَوَلَمْ يَسِيرُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ فَيَنْظُرُوا كَيْفَ كَانَ عَاقِبَةُ الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِهِمْ كَانُوا أَشَدَّ مِنْهُمْ قُوَّةً وَأَثَارُوا الْأَرْضَ وَعَمَرُوهَا أَكْثَرَ مِمَّا عَمَرُوهَا وَجَاءَتْهُمْ رُسُلُهُمْ بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ فَمَا كَانَ اللَّهُ لِيَظْلِمَهُمْ وَلَكِنْ كَانُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ يَظْلِمُونَ
Do they not travel in the land, and see what was the end of those before them? They were superior to them in strength, and they tilled the earth and populated it in greater numbers than these (pagans) have done, and there came to them their Messengers with clear proofs. Surely, Allah wronged them not, but they used to wrong themselves. (Ar-Rum 30:9)
- ALLAH (SWT) is asking the Pagan Arabs of Makkah, that when they travel through the land in the Summer and Winter to ASH-SHAM and to YEMEN, do they not recognise the civilizations that are now no longer in existence, but only their ruins remain
Did you (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) not see (thought) how your Lord dealt with 'Ad (people)? (6) Who were very tall like lofty pillars, (7) The like of which were not created in the land? (8) And (with) Thamud (people), who cut (hewed) out rocks in the valley (to make dwellings)? (Al-Fajr 89:6-9)
And (with) Fir'aun (Pharaoh), who had pegs (who used to torture men by binding them to pegs)? (10) Who did transgress beyond bounds in the lands (in the disobedience of Allah). (Al-Fajr 89:10-11)
- These civilizations were much more powerful than Quraish; yet their outcome was DISASTER because they denied their LORD
- The people of ‘AD, were proud about their intellect and physical stature, their wealth and their infrastructure, and they said to their PROPHET, Nabi Hud, that they were well-off without his religion and so they rejected the Message.
- Allah (SWT) told us that HE did not create anyone like the people of AD in the land, yet they were destroyed for their disbelief
- When the Prophet SAWS marched for the TABUK expedition, he warned his companions to keep away from the RUINS of the disbelieving people and moved swiftly away from the vicinity of destruction
Ibn 'Umar (RA) reported: When the Messenger of Allah (SAW) and his Companions reached Al-Hijr, the dwellings of the Thamud people, he admonished his Companions (saying), "Do not pass by these people who are being tormented, without weeping, lest the punishment should befall you as it had befallen them." [al-Bukhari (4702) and Muslim (2980)]
In a version by Muslim adds: 'He then urged his mount to proceed quickly and pass through that valley hurriedly.'
- The City of Sodom and Gomorrah for example does not even exist for viewing; as they were all buried at the bottom of the DEAD SEA
- When ALLAH (SWT) destroyed them with natural disasters, HE (SWT) did not oppress them, but rather they oppressed themselves by their evil sins
This is because of that (evil) which your hands have sent before you. And certainly, Allah is never unjust to (His) slaves. (Aali Imran 3:182)
- This makes it clear to us that Mankind is capable of oppressing himself; whereas ALLAH (SWT) does not oppress HIS slaves
- Mankind is sinful and hence unjust and oppressive on himself
- ALLAH (SWT) commanded us to travel through the land.
- Travelling on its own; is a UNIVERSITY
- because a person who has travelled is more open-minded; than a person who has not travelled as much
ثُمَّ كَانَ عَاقِبَةَ الَّذِينَ أَسَاءُوا السُّوأَى أَنْ كَذَّبُوا بِآيَاتِ اللَّهِ وَكَانُوا بِهَا يَسْتَهْزِئُونَ
Then evil was the end of those who did evil, because they belied the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, Messengers, etc.) of Allah and made mock of them. (Ar-Rum 30:10)
- ALLAH (SWT) is warning us in the above AYAH, that mankind shall REAP what they SOW
- The Ayah also educates us on the fact that when GOOD comes; it is from ALLAH (SWT) and when BAD comes; it is from your own doings
Whatever of good reaches you, is from Allah, but whatever of evil befalls you, is from yourself. And We have sent you (O Muhammad SAW) as a Messenger to mankind, and Allah is Sufficient as a Witness. (An-Nisa 4:79)
- The people of Nabi Saleh rejected his Message and murdered the SHE-CAMEL of ALLAH
Then they denied him and they killed it. So their Lord destroyed them because of their sin, and made them equal in destruction (i.e. all grades of people, rich and poor, strong and weak, etc.)! (Ash-Shams 91:14)
- For their evil action, ALLAH (SWT) destroyed the people of Saleh with FIRE and BRIMSTONE
- The people of Saleh asked their Messenger for a Miracle and when ALLAH (SWT) made a SHE-CAMEL appear from a ROCK, they shamelessly denied it
اللَّهُ يَبْدَأُ الْخَلْقَ ثُمَّ يُعِيدُهُ ثُمَّ إِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ
Allah (Alone) originates the creation, then He will repeat it, then to Him you will be returned. (Ar-Rum 30:11)
- The above Ayah is reminding us that ALLAH (SWT) ALONE is the ORIGINATOR AND THE CREATOR
- Mankind has the capacity to MAKE; but not CREATE
- It is SHIRK for us to believe that there is another Creator besides ALLAH
- This is because the RUH necessary for CREATION can only be Created by ALLAH (SWT)
O mankind! A similitude has been coined, so listen to it (carefully) : Verily! Those on whom you call besides Allah, cannot create (even) a fly, even though they combine together for the purpose. And if the fly snatched away a thing from them, they would have no power to release it from the fly. So weak are (both) the seeker and the sought. (Al-Hajj 22:73)
- Allah (SWT) reminded us that the greatest scientists on Earth cannot even create a house fly,
- and if the fly were to take something from them, they would not be able to get it back
- This is because Mankind and the Fly are both WEAK in their substance
- ALLAH (SWT) does not CREATE anything without a purpose
- For example, the mosquito is a despicable creature; which bites you, sucks your blood, causes diseases, kills millions on Earth and the female even sings in your ears!
- Yet it is a food source for so many creatures on EARTH, that even with its annoyance to mankind, it still has a great purpose
Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, there are indeed signs for men of understanding. (190) Those who remember Allah (always, and in prayers) standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth, (saying): "Our Lord! You have not created (all) this without purpose, glory to You! (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners). Give us salvation from the torment of the Fire. (Aali Imran 3:190-191)
- Everything under the heavens has a PURPOSE to FULFILL.
- Even the Pagans Arabs complained about ALLAH (SWT) mentioning the mosquito in the Quran.
- They felt ALLAH (SWT) put the Quran into disrepute by mentioning the mosquito
- But when ALLAH (SWT) mentioned the HORSES, they were extremely happy because they loved horses
- The Kaafirs are so evil they want to tell ALLAH (SWT), WHAT TO REVEAL IN THE QURAN, HOW TO REVEAL THE QURAN, and even WHO TO REVEAL THE QURAN to
How can you disbelieve in Allah when you were lifeless and He brought you to life; then He will cause you to die, then He will bring you [back] to life, and then to Him you will be returned. (Al-Baqarah 2:28)
وَيَوْمَ تَقُومُ السَّاعَةُ يُبْلِسُ الْمُجْرِمُونَ
And on the Day when the Hour will be established, the Mujrimun (disbelievers, sinners, criminals, polytheists, etc.) will be plunged into destruction with deep regrets, sorrows, and despair. (Ar-Rum 30:12)
- The DAY OF JUDGEMENT has many names, one of which is: THE DAY OF GRIEF AND REGRET
"Ah! Woe to me! Would that I had never taken so-and-so as a friend! (Al-Furqan 25:28)
- The above Ayah is proof that the Day of Judgement is a Day of grief and regret
- When the Kaafir witnesses the BLAZING FIRE and all the animals turning into DUST, he will claim to wish he could be turned into dust as well; in order to avoid the Punishment
Verily, We have warned you of a near torment, the Day when man will see that (the deeds) which his hands have sent forth, and the disbeliever will say: "Woe to me! Would that I were dust!" (An-Naba 78:40)
- The Kaafirs will regret not using their BRAIN (AQL) in the Dunya and making the choice of selecting ISLAM as their DEEN .
- This will take place when the ANGELS will drag the disbelievers into the HELLFIRE and be asked, Did not a Warner come to You?
It almost bursts up with fury. Every time a group is cast therein, its keeper will ask: "Did no warner come to you?" (8) They will say: "Yes indeed; a warner did come to us, but we belied him and said: 'Allah never sent down anything (of revelation), you are only in great error.'" (9) And they will say: "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we would not have been among the dwellers of the blazing Fire!" (10) Then they will confess their sin. So, away with the dwellers of the blazing Fire. (Al-Mulk 67:8-11)
وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُمْ مِنْ شُرَكَائِهِمْ شُفَعَاءُ وَكَانُوا بِشُرَكَائِهِمْ كَافِرِينَ
No intercessor will they have from those whom they made equal with Allah (partners i.e. their socalled associate gods), and they will (themselves) reject and deny their partners. (Ar-Rum 30:13)
If you invoke (or call upon) them, they hear not your call, and if (in case) they were to hear, they could not grant it (your request) to you. And on the Day of Resurrection, they will disown your worshipping them. And none can inform you (O Muhammad SAW) like Him Who is the AllKnower (of each and everything). (Fatir 35:14)
- On Judgement Day the false deities that were worshipped besides ALLAH (SWT), will reject the worship that Mankind gave them and will not be able to intercede for you
وَيَوْمَ تَقُومُ السَّاعَةُ يَوْمَئِذٍ يَتَفَرَّقُونَ
And on the Day when the Hour will be established, that Day shall (all men) be separated (i.e the believers will be separated from the disbelievers). (Ar-Rum 30:14)
- We are supposed to separate ourselves from the Kuffaar in the DUNYA and we shall be separated from them in the AAKHIRAA (hereafter)
- This is why every sincere MUSLIM must make HIJRAH to the DAWLAH
Ibn Hazm (rh) states that: “Whoever joins the ‘land of war’ and disbelief, of his own free will and in defiance of whoever amongst the Muslims calls him to his side, is by virtue of this act an apostate, by all the laws of apostasy, in Islam. Whoever is able to kill him must do so. His property is unprotected, his marriage null and void, all his rights are swept away. But whoever flees to the ‘land of war’ for fear of oppression, who neither opposes the Muslims in anything nor bears any malice towards them, and who was not able to find any refuge among the Muslims, is free of any guilt since he was compelled to leave. [Ibn Hazm, al-Muhalla’: (13/139-140)]
- If you are openly invited to live in the DAWLAH and you reject it for DAR-UL-HARB, you are considered an apostate and are liable to be killed for your apostasy.
- You are supposed to separate yourself from the KUFFAAR in the DUNYA and in AAKHIRAA,
- therefore when a Muslim passes away; it is HARAM to bury a believer in the GRAVEYARD other than that of the MUSLIMS
- Thus we must be separated in DUNYA, in our GRAVES and in our AAKHIRAA to achieve success
On the Day when the hypocrites men and women will say to the believers: "Wait for us! Let us get something from your light!" It will be said: "Go back to your rear! Then seek a light!" So a wall will be put up between them, with a gate therein. Inside it will be mercy, and outside it will be torment." (13) (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah." (Al-Hadid 57:13-14)
- The Day of Judgment is extremely dark and only the believers will be able to see their way due to the LIGHT OF EMAAN that will provided for them
- The disbelievers will beg the Muslims to give them their LIGHT
- ALLAH (SWT) will separate the BELIEVERS from the DISBELIEVERS AND THE HYPOCRITES with a WALL. One side of which will have MERCY and the other will have TORMENT
Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqun (pious - see V.2:2). (Az-Zukhruf 43:67)
- On the Day of Judgement, the people will turn on each other; becoming enemies to each other, accusing each other of leading them astray
- Only the GOD FEARING PIOUS BELIEVERS will be safeguarded from this horrible torment
- We must remind ourselves again and again that the DAY OF JUDEGEMENT will be the DAY OF SEPARATION
- The only BROTHERHOOD will be for the Pious
فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ فَهُمْ فِي رَوْضَةٍ يُحْبَرُونَ
Then as for those who believed (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and did righteous good deeds, such shall be honoured and made to enjoy luxurious life (forever) in a Garden of delight (Paradise). (Ar-Rum 30:15)
- The above AYAH proves that belief should be followed up with righteous deeds and EMAAN and ACTION go HAND IN HAND
- Therefore the person who says Emaan is in his heart, yet he avoids following up with righteous deeds, like praying, fasting, paying Zakat are not MUSLIMS.
- These people are like the Christians who say: ‘just accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour and commit all the evil sins on Earth and you will still be saved!’
Verily, those who believe [in the Oneness of Allah, and in His Messenger Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) including all obligations ordered by Islam] and do righteous good deeds, they are the best of creatures. (7) Their reward with their Lord is 'Adn (Eden) Paradise (Gardens of Eternity), underneath which rivers flow, they will abide therein forever, Allah Well-Pleased with them, and they with Him. That is for him who fears his Lord. (Al-Baiyinah 98:7-8)
وَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا وَكَذَّبُوا بِآيَاتِنَا وَلِقَاءِ الْآخِرَةِ فَأُولَئِكَ فِي الْعَذَابِ مُحْضَرُونَ
And as for those who disbelieved and belied Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, Allah's Messengers, Resurrection, etc.), and the Meeting of the Hereafter, such shall be brought forth to the torment (in the Hell-fire). (Ar-Rum 30:16)
- A person who believes in ALLAH (SWT) and also believes that Jesus was a Prophet is still a KAAFIR; until and unless he accepts MUHAMMAD (SAWS) as the Messenger of ALLAH
Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikun will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures. (Al-Baiyinah 98:6)
It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: "By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, any Christian or Jew who heard about me and died whilst rejecting me, such a person is in the hell fire to abide there forever." [Sahih Muslim (1/134) No. 153 and Musnad Ahmad (2/350) No. 8594]
- The Hadith above proves that those who are on Earth since the Prophethood of Muhammad (SAWS) are all part of his Ummah.
- Therefore whoever rejects faith in him (SAWS), is a disbeliever
فَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ حِينَ تُمْسُونَ وَحِينَ تُصْبِحُونَ
So glorify Allah [above all that (evil) they associate with Him (O believers)], when you come up to the evening [i.e. offer the (Maghrib) sunset and ('Isha') night prayers], and when you enter the morning [i.e offer the (Fajr) morning prayer]. (Ar-Rum 30:17)
- The Ayah above is speaking about SALAH. To glorify ALLAH (SWT) means to establish the FIVE DAILY PRAYERS
- And you should single out ALLAH (SWT) Alone for your IBADAH (worship)
Glorified be your Lord, the Lord of Honour and Power! (He is free) from what they attribute unto Him! (180) And peace be on the Messengers! (181) And all the praise and thanks be to Allah, Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). (As-Saffat 37:180-182)
- All the IMPERFECTIONS that Mankind tries to attribute to ALLAH, ALLAH (SWT) is FREE from any imperfection. ALLAH (SWT) is PERFECT
وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَعَشِيًّا وَحِينَ تُظْهِرُونَ
And His is all the praises and thanks in the heavens and the earth, and (glorify Him) in the afternoon (i.e. offer 'Asr prayer) and when you come up to the time, when the day begins to decline (i.e offer Zuhr prayer). (Ibn 'Abbas said: "These are the five compulsory congregational prayers mentioned in the Qur'an)." (Ar-Rum 30:18)
- Ibn Abbas said that the Ayah above is talking about the FIVE DAILY PRAYERS
- and there is no doubt that the difference between the Muslim and the Kaafir is the SALAH
- Therefore those who abandon SALAH have left the fold of ISLAM
Abdullah ibn Shaqiq Uqayli (RA) reported, saying “The companions of Muhummad (SAW) did not regard neglect of any of the deeds as disbelief as they did (neglect) of Salah." [Sunan Tirmidhi (5/14) No. 2622 and Mustadrak al-Haakim (1/48) No. 12 who said it met the conditions of al-Bukhari and Muslim]
Jabir (RA) reported that Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, “Between a man (Muslim) and shirk and disbelief lies neglect of Salah.” [Sahih Muslim (1/88) No. 82, Sunan Tirmidhi (5/13) No. 2620, Sunan Abu Dawud (4/219) No. 4678, Sunan Ibn Majah (2/181) No. 1078, Sunan An-Nasa'i (1/232) No. 463, Musnad Ahmad (3/370) No. 15021]
Buraidah reported that the Prophet (SAW) said, "The pact between us and them is prayer. Whoever abandons it is a disbeliever." [Musnad Ahmad (5/346) No. 22987, Sunan al-Nasa'i (1/231) No. 463, Sunan Tirmidhi (5/13-14) No. 2621, Sunan Ibn Majah (2/181) No. 1079]
But if they repent, perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat) and give Zakat, then they are your brethren in religion. (In this way) We explain the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) in detail for a people who know. (At-Tawbah 9:11)
- A debate took place between Imam Shafi’i and Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal about the status in Islam if you abandon the Salah.
- Imam Ahmad won the debate because of the Ayah 11 of Surah Tawba
يُخْرِجُ الْحَيَّ مِنَ الْمَيِّتِ وَيُخْرِجُ الْمَيِّتَ مِنَ الْحَيِّ وَيُحْيِ الْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا وَكَذَلِكَ تُخْرَجُونَ
He brings out the living from the dead, and brings out the dead from the living. And He revives the earth after its death. And thus shall you be brought out (resurrected). (Ar-Rum 30:19)
- The above Ayah means that ALLAH (SWT) is the CREATOR OF BOTH LIFE AND DEATH
Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (1) Who has created death and life, that He may test you which of you is best in deed. And He is the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving; (Al-Mulk 67:1-2)
And no person can ever die except by Allah's Leave and at an appointed term… (Aali Imran 3:145)
- ALLAH (SWT) is alone able to CREATE life and death and no soul can die without the permission of ALLAH (SWT)