by Shaikh Faisal
Notes Typed Live by AT19
Formatted and Edited by AT-001
June 17, 2017
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Qadr 97:1-5
بِّسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِ
Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'ān) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) (Al-Qadr 97:1)
وَمَا أَدْرَاكَ مَا لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ
And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is? (Al-Qadr 97:2)
لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ
The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allāh in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months). (Al-Qadr 97:3)
تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ
Therein descend the angels and the Rûh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allāh's Permission with all Decrees, (Al-Qadr 97:4)
سَلَامٌ هِيَ حَتَّىٰ مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ
Peace! (All that night, there is Peace and Goodness from Allāh to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn. (Al-Qadr 97:5)
- The Holy Spirit referred to in the above ayah is the Angel Gabriel (AS).
- He descends with the permission of Allahﷻ.
- The duration of Laylatul Qadr is from Maghrib (Sunset) until Fajr (Dawn).
- This is the duration because according to Shariah law, the night begins
when Maghrib begins.
- Allahﷻ mentioned this night a second time in the Quran.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Ad-Dukhan 44:1-4
Hā-Mīm. [These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ān and none but Allāh (Alone) knows their meanings]. (Ad-Dukhan 44:1)
By the manifest Book (this Qur'ān) that makes things clear, (Ad-Dukhan 44:2)
إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةٍ مُّبَارَكَةٍ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ
We sent it (this Qur'ān) down on a blessed night [(i.e. night of Qadr, Sûrah No: 97) in the month of Ramadān, the 9th month of the Islāmic calendar]. Verily, We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torment will reach those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of worship]. (Ad-Dukhan 44:3)
فِيهَا يُفْرَقُ كُلُّ أَمْرٍ حَكِيمٍ
Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments. (Ad-Dukhan 44:4)
- In the night of Laylatul Qadr, Allahﷻ decree matters that are predestined
over a period of one year.
- For example, the decreed matters are things like how many souls will be
born, die, and/or take shahada.
- This is why this night is called Laylatul Qadr (The Night of Divine Decree).
- This night is also important because Allahﷻ revealed the Quran in this
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Baqarah 2:185
شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ الَّذِي أُنزِلَ فِيهِ الْقُرْآنُ هُدًى لِّلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَاتٍ مِّنَ الْهُدَىٰ وَالْفُرْقَانِ فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ وَمَن كَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِّنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ يُرِيدُ اللهُ بِكُمُ الْيُسْرَ وَلَا يُرِيدُ بِكُمُ الْعُسْرَ وَلِتُكْمِلُوا الْعِدَّةَ وَلِتُكَبِّرُوا اللهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَاكُمْ وَلَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ
The month of Ramadān in which was revealed the Qur'ān, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadān i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Saum (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allāh intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allāh [i.e. to say Takbīr (Allāhu-Akbar; Allāh is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadān and Shawwāl] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him. (Al-Baqarah 2:185)
GIFTS GIVEN TO THE UMMAH OF MUHAMMADﷺ
- LAYLATUL QADR (Night of Divine Decree).
- This gift given by Allahﷻ is equivalent to the worship of 83 years (One
- The Ummah received this gift because the Prophetﷺ told the story to the
Sahaba (RAA) about a man from Bani (Tribe) Israel who did Jihad for 1000
months and they were impressed by this man’s action.
- The Sahaba (RAA) felt that they couldn't compete with this righteous deed
because they don't live for that long.
Faya Ayyuhan Nas! According to Ibn Abu Hatim and Wahidy and related from Mujahid, it is stated that our Beloved Prophetﷺ once related to Sahaba (RAA) the story of a very righteous man from among the Bani Isra'eel who used to spend one thousand months in Jihad. On hearing this, the Sahaba (RAA) were saddened that they could not attain the same reward.
Ya Ibad Allahﷻ! Still another report states that our Beloved Prophetﷺ once mentioned the names of four most pious people from among the Bani Isra'eel who each spent 83 years in the sincere service of Allahﷻ. They were Hazrat Ayyoob (AS); Hazrat Zakariyya (AS); Hazrat Hizqeel (AS) and Hazrat Yu'shaa (AS).
Ih'watal Islam! Then Sayyidina Jibra'eel (AS) appeared and recited "Surathul Qadr" wherein the Blessings and the great Honour of this Holiest of Nights was revealed. No matter which of the explanations we may choose to accept, the most important fact that remains is that Allahﷻ granted this Glorious Night only to the Ummah of His Beloved Prophetﷺ.
SOURCE: TAFSIR TABARI
- Wahidy and Ibn Abi Haatim are Hadith collectors, like Bukhari and Muslim.
- The Sahaba (RAA) were saddened because the Prophets and their people
from the past lived much longer than them.
- For example, the da’wah (propagation) of Prophet Noah (AS) was 950
- Therefore, he obviously lived much longer than that.
- The Sahabas (RAA) saddening and becoming aware of their short life span
were given the gift of Laylatul Qadr by Allahﷻ.
- No other previous Ummah (nation) were given this gift.
2. TAYYAMMUN (Cleansing without water).
- Tayyammum is the striking of the hands on the ground, then wiping the
hands and face.
- This act is symbolic.
Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated the hadeeth of ‘Ammaar ibn Yaasir (RA) describing tayammum. Al-Bukhaari narrated it in a number of places in his Saheeh. One of these reports (no. 347; 1/455 of Fath al-Baari) says: “ ‘It would have been sufficient for you to do this’ – then he struck the palms of his hands on the ground, then dusted them off, then wiped the back of each hand with the other, then he wiped his face with his hands.”
- Abu Hanifa Madthab (methodology) and opinion is to wipe up to your
- Hanbali Madthab (methodology) and opinion is to wipe up to your wrists.
- However, the safest opinion to consider is Abu Hanifa.
3. THE BOOTY OF WAR.
- The previous nations had to gather all the booty of war and it would then
- However, not for the Ummah of Muhammadﷺ. The booty is a source of
Ibn Umar (RA) narrated the Allah’s Messengerﷺ said:
"I was sent by the sword from now until Judgment Day, until Allahﷻ Alone is worshipped with no partners, and my livelihood is in the shadow of my spear, and humiliation and submission are on those who disobey me and whoever imitates a people is one of them"
[Musnad Ahmad (2/50) No. 5115, Shu'ab al-Eman al-Bayhaqi (2/417) No. 1154, Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah (4/212) No. 19401]
On the authority of Abu Huraira (RA) that the Allah’s Messengerﷺ said:
“Take part in battles, and you will receive booty. Fast, and you will be healthy. Travel and you will find your sustenance.”
[Al-Mu’jam al-Awsat al-Tabarani (8/174) No. 8312]
- Isnad is a chain of narrators or transmitters leading back to the Prophetﷺ.
- The condition of the chain is that each narrator has to meet each other in
the flesh. If this chain was broken, then Hadith would be classified as
- Another classification of a weak Hadith is if someone in the Isnad has a
- Also, if the Isnad includes a liar then it is classified as a fabrication.
“The Isnad is part of the Deen. If it were not for the Isnad, then any person would have said (about Islam) whatever he wished.” IBN MUBARAK
- Due to Isnad, the Ummah is protected.
- None of the four great Imams (Abu Hanifa, Hanbal, Shafi’ and Malik (RAA))
collected Hadith from the Shia.
- However, Hadiths were collected from the Khawarij because they didn't lie.
- The Khawarij believed to lie on the Prophetﷺ makes you a kaffir and this
opinion is correct.
The fact which stops me from narrating a great number of Hadiths to you is that the Prophetﷺ said: "Whoever tells a lie against me intentionally, then (surely) let him occupy his seat in hell-fire." [Sahih Bukhari]
- I asked my Sheikh (Abdullah Al-Hakami) whether this seat in Hell-fire was
temporary or permanent and he told me it was permanent.
- This is a permanent seat because the Prophetﷺ relates everything that is
taught by Allahﷻ.
5. EVERYTHING FROM THE SEA IS HALAL.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Ma’idah 5:96
أُحِلَّ لَكُمْ صَيْدُ الْبَحْرِ وَطَعَامُهُ مَتَاعًا لَّكُمْ وَلِلسَّيَّارَةِ وَحُرِّمَ عَلَيْكُمْ صَيْدُ الْبَرِّ مَا دُمْتُمْ حُرُمًا وَاتَّقُوا اللهَ الَّذِي إِلَيْهِ تُحْشَرُونَ
Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water game and its use for food - for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel, but forbidden is (the pursuit of) land game as long as you are in a state of Ihrām (for Hajj or 'Umrah). And fear Allāh to Whom you shall be gathered back. (Al-Ma'idah 5:96)
Abu Huraira (RA) reported that a man asked the Prophetﷺ:
'We travel in the sea and we carry with us little water. If we used it for wudu then we would be suffering thirst! So should we still use this water for wudu?' The Prophetﷺ replied: "Its [sea] water is pure and its dead meat [fish and whatever lives in sea and die by leaving it] is Halal to eat."
[Sunan Tirmidhi (1/100) No. 69, Sunan Abu Dawud (1/21) No. 83, Sunan al-Nasa'i (1/50) No. 59, Sunan Ibn Majah (1/250) No. 386, Sunan al-Darime (1/201) No. 729, Musnad Ahmad (2/361) No. 8720]
Narrated Jabir (RA):
We set out in the army of Al-Khabt and Abu 'Ubaida (RA) was the commander of the troops. We were struck with severe hunger and the sea threw out a dead fish the like of which we had never seen, and it was called Al-`Anbar (whale). We ate of it for half a month. Abu Ubaida (RA) took (and fixed) one of its bones and a rider passed underneath it (without touching it). (Jabir added:) Abu 'Ubaida (RA) said (to us), "Eat (of that fish)." When we arrived at Medina, we informed the Prophetﷺ about that, and he said, "Eat, for it is food Allahﷻ has brought out for you, and feed us if you have some of it." So some of them gave him (of that fish) and he ate it.
[Sahih Bukhari (5/167) No. 4362]
6. THE WHOLE WORLD WAS MADE A MASJID.
- The previous nations had to pray in the places of worship.
- However, this Ummah is allow to pray on the side of the road, if driving.
- The Prophetﷺ said that he was given 6 favors and one of them was this
Abu Huraira (RA) reported that Allah’s Messengerﷺ said:
I have been given superiority over the other prophets in six respects: I have been given words which are concise but comprehensive in meaning; I have been helped by terror (in the hearts of enemies): spoils have been made lawful to me: the earth has been made for me clean and a place of worship; I have been sent to all mankind and the line of prophets is closed with me. [Sahih Muslim, Book 4, Hadith #1062]
- Laylatul Qadr is in the last 10 nights of Ramadan.
- In particular, one of the odd nights.
- Therefore, it's either on the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th or 29th night of
- The Hanbali madthab (methodology), along with the majority of scholars,
are firm that Laylatul Qadr is on the 27th night because the signs are
- Some scholars say it roams around on one of the odd nights.
What took place on the 27th night of Ramadan?
- The Prophetﷺ was born in Makkah and he was fed up with the social norm
of his people.
- His people used to kill female children, eat dead meat from unslaughtered
animals, worship idols and make Tawwaf naked around the Kaabah,
commit fornication and prostitution.
- The people made Tawwaf around the Kaabah naked because the people of
Quraysh used to make uniforms for the pilgrims on Hajj (pilgrimage). They
would rent these uniforms and profit. However, some people were too poor
to rent these uniforms. So as a humiliation, they were forced to perform
the pilgrimage naked.
- They also used to enslave members of other tribes that they were warring
- So Muhammadﷺ used to retreat to a cave to meditate and contemplate on
the plight of his people.
- This cave is called Hira.
- Allahﷻ reminded the Prophetﷺ of his contemplation at the time.
Allahﷻ said in Surah AD-Duha 93
By the forenoon (after sun-rise); (Ad-Duha 93:1)
وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ
And by the night when it is still (or darkens); (Ad-Duha 93:2)
مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ
Your Lord (O Muhammad) has neither forsaken you nor hated you. (Ad-Duha 93:3)
وَلَلْآخِرَةُ خَيْرٌ لَّكَ مِنَ الْأُولَىٰ
And indeed the Hereafter is better for you than the present (life of this world). (Ad-Duha 93:4)
وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ
And verily, your Lord will give you (all i.e. good) so that you shall be well-pleased. (Ad-Duha 93:5)
أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَىٰ
Did He not find you (O Muhammad) an orphan and gave you a refuge? (Ad-Duha 93:6)
وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ
And He found you unaware (of the Qur'ān, its legal laws, and Prophethood, etc.) and guided you? (Ad-Duha 93:7)
وَوَجَدَكَ عَائِلًا فَأَغْنَىٰ
And He found you poor, and made you rich (self-sufficient with self-contentment, etc.)? (Ad-Duha 93:8)
فَأَمَّا الْيَتِيمَ فَلَا تَقْهَرْ
Therefore, treat not the orphan with oppression, (Ad-Duha 93:9)
وَأَمَّا السَّائِلَ فَلَا تَنْهَرْ
And repulse not the beggar; (Ad-Duha 93:10)
وَأَمَّا بِنِعْمَةِ رَبِّكَ فَحَدِّثْ
And proclaim the Grace of your Lord (i.e. the Prophethood and all other Graces). (Ad-Duha 93:11)
- While the Prophetﷺ was in the cave Hira, the Angel Gabriel (AS) came to
him and told him ‘Iqra’ (read).
- However, the Prophetﷺ replied back that he couldn't read.
- Making the Prophetﷺ illiterate is due to the wisdom of Allahﷻ.
- If the Prophetﷺ was skillful in reading and writing, then his enemies
would have said that he wrote the Quran.
- Then the following verses were revealed:
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Alaq 96:1-5
اقْرَأْ بِاسْمِ رَبِّكَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ
Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists), (Al-'Alaq 96:1)
خَلَقَ الْإِنسَانَ مِنْ عَلَقٍ
Has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood). (Al-'Alaq 96:2)
اقْرَأْ وَرَبُّكَ الْأَكْرَمُ
Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous, (Al-'Alaq 96:3)
الَّذِي عَلَّمَ بِالْقَلَمِ
Who has taught (the writing) by the pen [the first person to write was Prophet Idrees (Enoch)], (Al-'Alaq 96:4)
عَلَّمَ الْإِنسَانَ مَا لَمْ يَعْلَمْ
Has taught man that which he knew not. (Al-'Alaq 96:5)
- The first person to use the pen and scale was Propret Idris (AS).
- He was the only prophet who died in heaven.
- Also, his best friend was an angel. The angel used to transport and take
him to the 4th heaven.
In the hadeeth in as-Saheehayn from ‘Aa’ishah (ra), she says:
… (This went on) until the truth came to him when he was in the cave of Hiraa’. The angel came and said, “Read (or recite)!” The Prophetﷺ said: “I said: ‘I am not a reader.’ Then he took hold of me and squeezed me until I could not bear it any more, then he released me and said, ‘Read!’ I said, ‘I am not a reader.’ He took hold of me and squeezed me a second time until I could not bear it any more, then he released me and said, ‘Read!’ I said, ‘I am not a reader.’ He took hold of me and squeezed me a third time until I could not bear it any more, then he released me and said: ‘Read! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all that exists) … He has taught man that which he knew not.’ [al-‘Alaq 96:1-5].”
- The moment Allahﷻ revealed the Quran to Muhammadﷺ, he became a
Prophet that night.
- The mountain (where the cave Hira was) is called Jabal Noor (the
mountain of light)
- It's called that because that's where the Quran was revealed.
- The mountain where the Prophet’sﷺ farewell Khutbah (last sermon) was
delivered is called Jabal Ar-Rahma (the mountain of mercy).
- It’s important to know the significance of these 2 mountains.
- When the Prophetﷺ received the message in the cave, he didn't
understand the circumstances of this event that just occurred.
- He went back home and told his wife, Khadija (RA), to cover him.
... Then Allah's Apostleﷺ returned with the Inspiration and with his heart beating severely. Then he went to Khadijah bint Khuwailid (RA) and said, "Cover me! Cover me!" They covered him till his fear was over and after that he told her everything that had happened and said, "I fear that something may happen to me." Khadijah (RA) replied, "Never! By Allahﷻ, Allahﷻ will never disgrace you. You keep good relations with your Kith and kin, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guests generously and assist the deserving calamity-afflicted ones."
Khadija (RA) then accompanied him to her cousin Waraqah bin Nawfal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza, who, during the PreIslamic Period became a Christian and used to write the writing with Hebrew letters. He would write from the Gospel in Hebrew as much as Allahﷻ wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadijah said to Waraqa, "Listen to the story of your nephew, O my cousin!" Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" Allah's Apostleﷺ described whatever he had seen. Waraqa said, "This is the same one who keeps the secrets (angel Gabriel (AS)) whom Allahﷻ had sent to Moses (AS). I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out."
Allah's Apostleﷺ asked, "Will they drive me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said, "Anyone (man) who came with something similar to what you have brought was treated with hostility; and if I should remain alive till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine Inspiration was also paused for a while.
[Sahih Bukhari, Vol 1, Book 1, Hadith #003]
- Khadija (RA) then took the Prophetﷺ to her cousin, Waraqa Ibn Naufal.
- He was a scholar of the Christian books.
- Allahﷻ sent Muhammadﷺ as a Prophet because Heﷻ was answering the
Dua (supplication) of Abrahim (AS).
- However, he was a prophet to the whole of mankind and not just the
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Baqarah 2:129
رَبَّنَا وَابْعَثْ فِيهِمْ رَسُولًا مِّنْهُمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِكَ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ إِنَّكَ أَنتَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ
"Our Lord! Send amongst them a Messenger of their own (and indeed Allah answered their invocation by sending Muhammad Peace be upon him ), who shall recite unto them Your Verses and instruct them in the Book (this Qur'an) and Al-Hikmah (full knowledge of the Islamic laws and jurisprudence or wisdom or Prophethood, etc.), and sanctify them. Verily! You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise." (Al-Baqarah 2:129)
- We understand that Muhammadﷺ became a Prophet when Surah Alaq
(96) was revealed, but when did he become a Messenger?
- The answer is when Allahﷻ revealed the following Surah:
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Muddathir 74:1-5
يَا أَيُّهَا الْمُدَّثِّرُ
O you (Muhammad SAW) enveloped (in garments)! (Al-Muddaththir 74:1)
Arise and warn! (Al-Muddaththir 74:2)
And your Lord (Allāh) magnify! (Al-Muddaththir 74:3)
And your garments purify! (Al-Muddaththir 74:4)
And keep away from Ar-Rujz (the idols)! (Al-Muddaththir 74:5)
- A messenger has a higher status than a prophet.
- Every Messenger is a Prophet but not every Prophet is a Messenger.
- The difference between the two is that Messengers are given a book and
have their own Shariah.
- For example, Abrahim (AS) had the Scrolls, Moses (AS) was given the
Torah, David (AS) had The Psalms, Jesus (AS) given the Injeel and
Muhammadﷺ was given the Quran.
- And Prophets, like Yusef (AS), weren't Messengers. He followed the
Shariah of Abrahim (AS).
Allahﷻ said in Surah Yusef 12:76
فَبَدَأَ بِأَوْعِيَتِهِمْ قَبْلَ وِعَاءِ أَخِيهِ ثُمَّ اسْتَخْرَجَهَا مِن وِعَاءِ أَخِيهِ كَذَٰلِكَ كِدْنَا لِيُوسُفَ مَا كَانَ لِيَأْخُذَ أَخَاهُ فِي دِينِ الْمَلِكِ إِلَّا أَن يَشَاءَ اللهُ نَرْفَعُ دَرَجَاتٍ مَّن نَّشَاءُ وَفَوْقَ كُلِّ ذِي عِلْمٍ عَلِيمٌ
So he [Yûsuf (Joseph)] began (the search) in their bags before the bag of his brother. Then he brought it out of his brother's bag. Thus did We plan for Yûsuf (Joseph). He could not take his brother by the law of the king (as a slave), except that Allāh willed it. (So Allāh made the brothers to bind themselves with their way of "punishment, i.e. enslaving of a thief.") We raise to degrees whom We please, but over all those endowed with knowledge is the All-Knowing (Allāh). (Yusuf 12:76)
- Allahﷻ refers here that the law you follow is also your Deen (religion).
- Therefore, if you follow the laws of democracy, capitalism, socialism and
other man-made isms and schisms, that is your Deen.
- This is the plight of the madkhali who tries to slander Prophet Yusef (AS)
by saying he followed the law of the king.
- The above ayah refutes their claim because he didn't follow the King’s
- Waraqa said the people of Makkah will turn on Muhammadﷺ.
- The Prophetﷺ was surprised by Waraqa Ibn Naufal’s statement of
driving him out of Makkah because Quraysh loved Muhammadﷺ. The used
to call him ‘Al-Ameen’ (The Trustworthy).
- The even used to give him their belongings to safeguard for them.
- Allahﷻ mentions this circumstance in the below ayah:
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-An’am 6:112
وَكَذَٰلِكَ جَعَلْنَا لِكُلِّ نَبِيٍّ عَدُوًّا شَيَاطِينَ الْإِنسِ وَالْجِنِّ يُوحِي بَعْضُهُمْ إِلَىٰ بَعْضٍ زُخْرُفَ الْقَوْلِ غُرُورًا وَلَوْ شَاءَ رَبُّكَ مَا فَعَلُوهُ فَذَرْهُمْ وَمَا يَفْتَرُونَ
And so We have appointed for every Prophet enemies - Shayātin (devils) among mankind and jinns, inspiring one another with adorned speech as a delusion (or by way of deception). If your Lord had so willed, they would not have done it, so leave them alone with their fabrications. (Tafseer Qurtubi, Vol.7, Page 67) (Al-An'am 6:112)
Allahﷻ also said in Surah Al-An’am 6:123
وَكَذَٰلِكَ جَعَلْنَا فِي كُلِّ قَرْيَةٍ أَكَابِرَ مُجْرِمِيهَا لِيَمْكُرُوا فِيهَا وَمَا يَمْكُرُونَ إِلَّا بِأَنفُسِهِمْ وَمَا يَشْعُرُونَ
And thus We have set up in every town great ones of its wicked people to plot therein. But they plot not except against their ownselves, and they perceive (it) not. (Al-An'am 6:123)
- Therefore, every Prophet had an enemy.
- For example, Abrahim (AS) had Nimrod as his enemy, Moses (AS) dealt
with Pharoah, Jesus (AS) struggled with Ponteus Pilate and King Herod.
- The Prophet'sﷺ enemy was Abu Jahl.
- When Abu Jahl died at the Battle of Badr, the Prophetﷺ referred to him as
the Pharoah of this Ummah.
- Another enemy of the Prophetﷺ was his own uncle, Abu Lahab.
- He was nicknamed Abu Lahab (Father of the Flame) because he had a red
- He used to slander the Prophetﷺ at the gates of Makkah and plot against
the haqq (truth).
- Abu Lahab thought he could bribe Allahﷻ with his wealth.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Humuzah 104:1-4
وَيْلٌ لِّكُلِّ هُمَزَةٍ لُّمَزَةٍ
Woe to every slanderer and backbiter. (Al-Humuzah 104:1)
الَّذِي جَمَعَ مَالًا وَعَدَّدَهُ
Who has gathered wealth and counted it, (Al-Humuzah 104:2)
يَحْسَبُ أَنَّ مَالَهُ أَخْلَدَهُ
He thinks that his wealth will make him last forever! (Al-Humuzah 104:3)
كَلَّا لَيُنبَذَنَّ فِي الْحُطَمَةِ
Nay! Verily, he will be thrown into the crushing Fire. (Al-Humuzah 104:4)
- Before the Prophetﷺ migrated, they put men outside his door to kill him.
- However, when he came out of his house, he recited a dua from the Quran
(verse below) that blinded them.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Ya-Seen 36:9
وَجَعَلْنَا مِن بَيْنِ أَيْدِيهِمْ سَدًّا وَمِنْ خَلْفِهِمْ سَدًّا فَأَغْشَيْنَاهُمْ فَهُمْ لَا يُبْصِرُونَ
And We have put a barrier before them, and a barrier behind them, and We have covered them up, so that they cannot see. (Ya-Sin 36:9)
- The Kuffar hated the Muslims and the Prophetﷺ.
- History repeats itself because the kuffar are doing the same thing in
- Quraysh was torturing and punishing the Muslims and at the same time,
preventing them from making Hijrah (migration).
- They killed Sumayyah (RA) and her husband Yassir (RA).
- Also, they were going to kill their son Amr (RA), but he was able to spare
his life by practicing Taqiyya (deception).
- He left the fold of Islam with his tongue.
- However, Allahﷻ agreed with his action and revealed the below ayah
because of his Ikraah (duress).
Allahﷻ said in Surah An-Nahl 16:106
مَن كَفَرَ بِاللهِ مِن بَعْدِ إِيمَانِهِ إِلَّا مَنْ أُكْرِهَ وَقَلْبُهُ مُطْمَئِنٌّ بِالْإِيمَانِ وَلَٰكِن مَّن شَرَحَ بِالْكُفْرِ صَدْرًا فَعَلَيْهِمْ غَضَبٌ مِّنَ اللهِ وَلَهُمْ عَذَابٌ عَظِيمٌ
Whoever disbelieved in Allāh after his belief, except him who is forced thereto and whose heart is at rest with Faith but such as open their breasts to disbelief, on them is wrath from Allāh, and theirs will be a great torment. (An-Nahl 16:106)
EXAMPLES OF IKRAAH
- YOUR CHILDREN
- YOUR LIFE
- For example, if you receive a life sentence in prison, you can appeal that
sentence in the kaffir courthouse.
- Prophet Yusuf (AS) told a man to mention his plight to the king.
- However, the shaytan caused the man to forget to address the king
because he wanted him to stay longer in prison.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Yusef 12:42
وَقَالَ لِلَّذِي ظَنَّ أَنَّهُ نَاجٍ مِّنْهُمَا اذْكُرْنِي عِندَ رَبِّكَ فَأَنسَاهُ الشَّيْطَانُ ذِكْرَ رَبِّهِ فَلَبِثَ فِي السِّجْنِ بِضْعَ سِنِينَ
And he said to the one whom he knew to be saved: "Mention me to your lord (i.e. your king, so as to get me out of the prison)." But Shaitān (Satan) made him forget to mention it to his Lord [or Satan made [(Yûsuf (Joseph)] to forget the remembrance of his Lord (Allāh) as to ask for His Help, instead of others]. So [Yûsuf (Joseph)] stayed in prison a few (more) years.
- Then Prophet Yusuf (AS) requested for a public inquiry and refused to
leave prison until the inquiry was performed.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Yusef 12:51
قَالَ مَا خَطْبُكُنَّ إِذْ رَاوَدتُّنَّ يُوسُفَ عَن نَّفْسِهِ قُلْنَ حَاشَ لِلَّهِ مَا عَلِمْنَا عَلَيْهِ مِن سُوءٍ قَالَتِ امْرَأَتُ الْعَزِيزِ الْآنَ حَصْحَصَ الْحَقُّ أَنَا رَاوَدتُّهُ عَن نَّفْسِهِ وَإِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ
(The King) said (to the women): "What was your affair when you did seek to seduce Yûsuf (Joseph)?" The women said: "Allāh forbid! No evil know we against him!" The wife of Al-'Azīz said: "Now the truth is manifest (to all), it was I who sought to seduce him, and he is surely of the truthful."
- After the inquiry was performed by the king, Prophet Yusef (AS) was found
innocent and his name was cleared.
DUA OF LAYLATUL QADR
Aisha (RA) reported that she asked:
“O Allah’s Messengerﷺ! what do you say if I learnt which night is the Laylatul Qadr (night of power), what should I pray then?” He said, “Say: اللَّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عُفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي "Allahumma innaka `Afuwwun tuhibbul `Afwa fa`fu `Annee" (O Allahﷻ, You are the Forgiving, the Benevolent, You love to forgive, so forgive me)."
[Sunan Tirmidhi (5/534) No. 3513, Sunan Ibn Majah (5/20) No. 3850, Musnad Ahmad (6/171) No. 25423]
THE SIGNS OF LAYLATUL QADR
- THE FOLLOWING MORNING, THE SUN RISES WITHOUT RAYS.
From Ubayy (RA) who said:
That the Prophetﷺ said: "On the morning following Lailatul-Qadr the sun rises not having any rays, as if it were a brass dish, until it rises up."
[Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmithi and Ibn Majah]
2. THE MOON LOOKS LIKE HALF OF A PLATE.
Abu Hurairah (RA) said:
"We were discussing Lailatul-Qadr in the presence of Allah's Messengerﷺ so he said : 'Which of you remembers [the night] when the moon arose and was like half a plate?...
3. THE NIGHT IS CALM.
- It's neither hot or cold.
Ibn 'Abbaas (RA) said:
Allaah's Messengerﷺ said: "Lailatul-Qadr is calm and pleasant, neither hot nor cold, the sun arises on its morning being feeble and red."
[at-Tayaalisee, Ibn Khuzaimah and al-Bazzaar with a Hasan Isnad].
4. NO NATURAL DISASTERS.
Allahﷻ said in Surah Al-Qadr 97:5
سَلَامٌ هِيَ حَتَّىٰ مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ
Peace! (All that night, there is Peace and Goodness from Allāh to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn. (Al-Qadr 97:5)
- The night will be peaceful.
- There will be no storms or hurricanes.
- Also, no dogs or animals fighting.